Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] 29.97 and HD / RANT

Great summation, but allow me to elaborate on why I like 23.98 as the default. My argument for 23.98 is not that I'm attached to pulldown, it's that 23.98 is the most broadly compatible frame rate. A 23.98 final deliverable is widely accepted for both broadcast and web (and it looks great). Importantly, it can be converted without hassle (if with slight issues in some cases) to other frame rates when those requests come in after the fact. 29.97, if interlaced, is a problem for anything other than U.S. broadcast; 29.97 progressive is a problem for me if conversion to a slower frame rate is requested.


That last concern -- converting a 29.97 video to 24 or 25 fps -- is probably a non-problem for most editors, but I've had to deal with it many times in the past when working in NYC for a global ad agency: doing brand videos, case studies, pitch videos, some spots that were later run in movie theaters globally, and in one case some corporate videos shown on British Air flights. More recently as a freelancer, doing a few corporate videos for a global client, we got a request for 25 fps long after the project was finished. For that reason, I always recommend that directors shoot at 23.98 for the corporate videos I do. Creates fewer potential problem later. (And I never get pushback from the directors or DPs.) For editors who work primarily on other kinds of projects, 29.97 might be an excellent choice. -- Mark

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#134742) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment