Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Netflix Open Content Link and download ?s

Sounds like you're asking:

"when I download a bunch of files, why does my available download bandwidth go away?"

11 MB/s (or MiB/s) is roughly close to 80 Mbps. So if you usually have 90 Mbps, and 80 of it is taken up by downloading these files, you'll only have around 10 or so left for anything else.

The capital B is bytes, the lowercase b is bits.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 9:23 PM John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:
When I run terminal with the following command:

aws s3 sync --no-sign-request s3://download.opencontent.netflix.com/Meridian/tiffs/  /Volumes/191203\ Irwin\ FiberNetix\ BU/200711\ Neflix\ Meridian\ UHD/Sparks 

My Airport Extreme Spectrum Cable modem home network slows way down.  I understand it is pulling from the bandwidth but without it running I get normalish internet speeds of approx 90 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up.  With the terminal command running the speed test goes down to 20 Mbps or 14ish Mbps with upload around 6 Mbps.  I understand the terminal command is pulling network bandwidth but when I look in the terminal window I see the following repeated over and over for each tiff in the image sequence:

download: s3://download.opencontent.netflix.com/Meridian/tiffs/Meridian_UHD4k5994p_HDR_P3PQ_25397.tif to ../../Volumes/191203 Irwin FiberNetix BU/200711 Neflix Meridian UHD/Sparks/Meridian_UHD4k5994p_HDR_P3PQ_25397.tif
Completed 4.4 GiB/~12.1 GiB (11.0 MiB/s) with ~172 file(s) remaining (calculating...)

I see it says (11.0 MiB/s)  which is the
mebibyte/second a bit more than a Mega Bit but why then has my speed test lost 70 Mbps when this seems to indicate it's pulling around 11 Mbps.  What causes such a drain on the download speed to the tune of around 70 Mbps?

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#134632) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment