Monday, July 6, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Can Avid Mixdown 6 mono 5.1 tracks to 5.1 audio mixdown?

What I ended up doing was making my normal 16 channels of mono with the 5 stereo pairs on Ch 1&2, 3&4 etc...  Then 5.1 on 11-16 in order (L, R, C, Lfe, Ls, Rs).  I took the resulting 4096_2160 ProResHQ into Resolve and made it a sequence with 16 mono tracks.  Then Fairlight will link tracks as stereo or 5.1.  Then you create 6 master busses the first 5 stereo and 6 a 5.1 track.  I let Resolve scale to fit for a UHD letter box and output a ProResHQ from there.  In QT 7 Pro the resulting file shows 6 tracks first 5 stereo pairs and the 6th track a 5.1 in smpte order.

I was able to get the protools aaf with 5 stereo tracks and the 6th a 5.1 track to work in Avid but as I posted before the 5.1 order of ProTools is different from the smpte order.  It seems that making a mixdown from 6 mono track to a 5.1 track doesn't work.  I end up with only two tracks with audio and it seems like odd tracks are multed and even tracks are multed.  I tried switching the sequence setting to 5.1 instead of stereo in the mixing tool but no change.

When I brought the above mention 6 interleaved track file into Avid by linking to it it showed up as 16 mono tracks all in the original sequence order.  So whatever is understood by QTPro 7 as interleaved or multichannel tracks is not understood when Avid links to the file.

I do have your QT map app that I've used to create interleaved audio on .movs in the past.  It was life saver on a live show where the remote truck playout server couldn't understand interleaved audio tracks.

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 07:06 PM, bouke wrote:
No clue about PT, but again, this thing can remap / go from mono to poly or vice versa:

Bouke

Edit ‘B / VideoToolShed.com
van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS  Nijmegen
+31 6 21817248

On 06 Jul 2020, at 19:54, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

I never deal with stereo or 5.1 audio stems in Avid.  I've occasionally dabbled with stereo tracks but my delivery needs are always discrete mono stems until now.  I need 5 stereo tracks and the 6th track is 5.1.  I had protools generate an aaf with that configuration but I'm told that protools can only make a 5.1 track in protools order which is not smpte order which the delivery requires.
 
I googled and thought I could just take the 6 tracks in proper order and do an audio mixdown to a 5.1 track.  When I do this I only see two channels of audio on the audio meters.  I played with pass through setting it to 8 channel direct.  I also played with the 5.1 order checkboxes but still just two tracks.  I do see it sometimes show tone on tracks one and two and sometimes on one and three.  Displaying waveforms I see what look like 6 track lines for the 5.1 channel but only two show tone.  The tone is hot so it seems like when the mixdown is made the 6 tracks are getting summed into two tracks. 
 
Making a stereo mixdown from two mono tracks seems to work.  I tried a new user setting just to eliminate some whacky legacy setting I might have but that didn't change this behavior.  If I take the 5.1 track that came from protools it does give me 6 discrete channels but they are in the wrong order.  I see in clip modification I can tell Avid what order the 5.1 track is in but will that allow me to remap the track assignments to smpte order?
 
At this point I'm just going to output discrete audio tracks and take the file into Resolve where I'm use to linking tracks and assigning them to be stereo or 5.1.  Seems like I'm missing something obvious or there's a bug.  I'm mc 2018.12.7 on mac with DNxIO.  I tried disabling hardware to see if that plays into it but no change.
 
Any suggestions on these 5.1 tracks or if there is a way that ProTools can export a 5.1 audio track in other than protools order would be welcome. 
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#134617) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment