Monday, June 1, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Western Digital in lawsuit for allegedly sneaking RAID-unfriendly tech into drives for RAID arrays

From what I read, it's WD Red drives under 8TB that have SMR. I've always been of the opinion that when buying new hard drives, it's always better to buy in capacities that are 'current tech', as they are current production and haven't been spinning drives sitting idle on a stock shelf for years. When I had to outfit a small personal RAID last year, I opted for WD Red drives in 10 TB, since that was on the lower end of what was then current. In this case, I feel lucky that these drives supposedly are CMR drives, but I also don't think I would be opting for the lower capacity drives anyway, unless I had a RAID that specifically required this capacity. Another thing to note: WD Red drives are 5400 RPM drives - I don't think I would even consider that rotational speed adequate for "production" performance. I bought mine specifically for a low performance, lower noise situation - any time I've outfit spinning disks for a production performance RAID, it's always at least 7200 RPM drives. Not letting WD off the hook here, just sharing some personal practices that have worked out well for me, even if that's mostly just luck.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 6:08 AM John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:
Not that Hitachi isn't around I have bought some WD Red drives.  Not using them in Raids but seems like something to consider in the future.





John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#134536) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment