Friday, June 26, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] GPU upgrade from GTX-680 to ????? Mid 2012 MacPro 12 core

Yes that is correct. Resolve is limited to the slowest card, utilizing only the least amount of VRAM available. 



DQS


On Jun 26, 2020, at 5:24 AM, Dave Hogan via groups.io <mactvman=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Sorry John, I don't know the answers to your other questions.  The 780 6Gig card just seemed like the perfect card for me and my 2010 MacPro 5,1.  It has worked out for me well, and I believe it is a good fit.

I felt that since the MacPro only supports PCIe 2.0 spec and all these cards are spec'd for a PCIe 3.0 motherboard, that their extra power and features would be lost on a computer who's buss can't really support their faster output.  I recall reading an article that someone did tests with a bunch of the Nvidia cards in a MacPro and saw a diminishing return at a certain point on the power of the card, vs. what it could do in PCIe 2.0 on a Mac Pro.

Also, important to me, the 780 card was far cheaper than the newer breading edge cards.

Here is a stepping off point to the rabbit hole that got me started a few years ago, from everymac:


Another great website for turning the detail knob to 11 is Barefeats:


They have done tons of articles comparing computing power and performance, and they have some great tests of interest to video professionals.

The above two websites are enough to delete your entire weekend down the proverbial rabbit hole.  Apologies to your wife.

Enjoy,

Dave Hogan
Burbank, CA

On Jun 26, 2020, at 1:10 AM, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

Thanks for the info Dave is there an advantage to the GTX-980?  Does it come with a 6GB vram option.  For my GT-680 IIRC I just used the two power cables that come from the mother board.  IIRC the original Radeon 5770 might have only used one cable but the 680 came with additional power cables.  It's been a while since I installed it.  I've also seen talk ot 1080 nvidias.  Any reason to go with something like that?

Can i mix an non nvidia gpu in the tower and still run the titanX gpus in the expansion chassis.  I'm think I've heard it's a problem to mix them.

No comments:

Post a Comment