Sunday, June 28, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] GPU upgrade from GTX-680 to ????? Mid 2012 MacPro 12 core

Yep you can't mix Nvidia and AMD GPU.
Problem with Nvidia is that you're stuck with High Sierra. I don't know how much longer will Avid keep it in their approved specs. Also, is High Sierra still approved with current versions of DaVinci Resolve?

I had a 980Ti for a while and loved the raw power when converting footage to DNxHD using Resolve. BUT... it ran really badly with Media Composer: I had tearing and glitches all over my Source/Record/FSP monitors. The day I replaced it with a R9 280X (essentially a 7950 that could be easily flashed to become a "real" Mac GPU), the glitches disappeared. Later I moved to a RX 580 as it was officially approved by Apple, and more recently a Vega 56 because I found a good priced second hand one. I would have loved to get a Radeon VII but those are still pricey and I find it hard to justify a $800 GPU in a 10 years old machine.

It's also true that getting a new and expensive Mac Pro has little appeal as we now know that Apple is moving away from Intel. 

Feels like we've been screwed by Apple. Again.
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#134569) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment