Friday, May 29, 2020

[Avid-L2] LG OLED Calibration menu confusion Clarified

I finally installed my new C9 LG OLED that was professionally calibrated for Rec 709 and HDR by AbelCine in Burbank.  Given it was brand new that let the monitor run for 100 hours to break it in before calibration.  I fired it up and it looks good next to my PVM-2541 Sony OLED although the Sony seems to have a bit more punch in the gamma range.  Colors are pretty close.

I went through a few of the advanced video picture menus and I saw that the gamma reads 2.2 but is greyed out.  I checked with AbelCine and they told me that when they run the Calman calibration software it over writes the setting which they programed as Cinema (User).  The greyed out data is not active and it just means that when they programmed the monitor it was set from the factory to 2.2 gamma.  The 3D LUT programmed by the Calman software bypasses the displayed settings hence they are greyed out and are not an indication that the monitor was calibrate to 2.2 gamma.  The Calman print out shows 2.4 as the target gamma used in calibration.  I'm glad to understand the under the hood a little better.

It's interesting to me that LG ships with factory default at 2.2 gamma.  I guess they assume this "consumer" monitor will be used in brighter environments than your typical edit bay.

I'd be interested if anyone can shed any more light on this confusing menu item.

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

No comments:

Post a Comment