Friday, February 7, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Recommendations for upgrading GPU on MacPro 2010

Pierre, it looks I have a similar or possibly identical system to yours.  

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
OS 10.13.6
Processor:  2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 32 GB 1333  MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680  2048MB

I want to go to Mojave now, so that I can run Avid v2019.12 and Resolve v.16.1.2 off of the same boot drive.  Resolve needs Mojave. I have a separate boot drive for Premiere Pro and it is also on the same Mac OS, running PP 2019 & 2020.

I am looking at switching out my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 for a card that will function happily with the latest Avid v2019.12, Resolve v.16.1.2 and Adobe Premiere Pro 2020.  The CUDA functionality seems to have gone away even under High Sierra.

The Resolve system requirements on the support/updates page don't seem to require a specific GPU.  Seems odd, but hopefully the Sapphire Pulse is compatible.

I contacted Adobe because their Premiere Pro system requirements page lists a bunch of "Mac Metal" compatible cards.  They don't list the Sapphire Pulse (Radeon RX 580), but they do list the 
AMD Radeon Pro 580.
I am curious if you know whether this is the same card or alternately, if you are also running Premiere Pro without any issues and with expected performance.  Resolve as well?

With 3 different flavours of editing software on my MacPro, I am concerned about screwing one or more of them up by switching graphics cards.  I am at an impasse now with regard to software updates, both OS and application, unless I change cards.  If spending around $200 on a new graphics card opens up those limitations, it would be worth the expense.

Can you shed light on any of this?

Thanks,
Richard
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#134009) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment