Friday, January 17, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Connecting a Thunderbolt 3 Drive enclosure to a USB 3.0 PCIe card?

That adapter is strictly USB protocol, from USB-C to USB-A. It will not allow you to interface with a thunderbolt device. I think the biggest confusion you are having which many people come across, is that USB-C and thunderbolt 3 have the same connector type but they are both two entirely different protocols for transferring information.  

If your ex ternal Drive is a USB-C device then that adapter will work just fine to transfer to the USB-A port on your Mac Pro tower. 
If your drive is truly a thunderbolt 3 device then I'm afraid there's no chance it will ever interface with a USB-A or USB-C protocol because they are two entirely different formats, even if the connector for thunderbolt three and USB-C looks the same. Thunderbolt three is it's own thing which also happens to have USB see functionality added into it as a bonus so to speak. But USBC or USBA are not capable of communicating via the thunderbolt protocol. 

I hope this makes sense. Unfortunately confuses a lot of people and for good reason, I mean the connector is identical. It's like thunderbolt 2 and mini display port. Same connector but mini display port does not actually transfer using the thunderbolt protocol, but Thunderbolt 2 has mini display port functionality added as a sweet bonus. 

-Kelby 

Kelby Thwaits
Director
Sunset Gower Studios
1438 N Gower Street, Box 75



(Creative typos courtesy of my iPhone)

On Jan 17, 2020, at 5:18 PM, Sol Fischler via Groups.Io <sol.fischler=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:


On Friday, January 17, 2020, 06:31:19 PM EST, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:


What I need is USB-A to Thunderbolt 3.  Your link is USBC to USB-A.  From the link:
"SuperSpeed Connection: Connects USB-A devices (flash drives, keyboards, mice, hubs) to USB-C devices (new smartphones, tablets, laptops). USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB 3.0) enables up to 5Gbps SuperSpeed data transfer"

In my case the "Device" is a Thunderbolt 3 Drive enclosure/raid.  If I could take this then convert the USB-C side to Thunderbolt 3 maybe that would work?


On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 11:21 AM, Marcel B. wrote:
This is what I use. It works well with everything.

https://tinyurl.com/yxywmr3o


On 17/01/2020 13:24, John Moore wrote:
I've done a bunch of googling and everything seems to talk about taking Thunderbolt 3 to USB C.  What kind of adapter is there to take the standard USB 3.0 Type A connection on the USB 3.0 card in my MacPro mid 2010 upgraded to 12 Core 3.33GHz and connect to a Thunderbolt 3 Drive enclosure.
 
Many of the other bays have trash cans and the connect to these thunderbolt 3 drives with a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter.
 
I see if I had thunderbolt 3 on my computer it would connect to all kinds of things but obviously my old macpro doesn't support that.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

No comments:

Post a Comment