Thursday, January 2, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Confessions of holiday gifts to self...

Woah.  Thanks for the research!

I put the western digital mystery 5400rpm 'shucked' 12 tb drives in my new qnap 8-bay, I think they were $180 plus tax at bestbuy? Based on your research though, who knows what they really are!  Bob said they might not be fast enough, but it's working great.

On 10gigE I'm getting reliable sustained 660+ MBps write and faster read.  

Which is ridiculous since I'm running only 1 edit bay most of the time.  I don't actually need shared storage, to be honest, but I can't just give up everything All at once! 

 (Job, if you need a spare Nitris, I can't stomach going back to eBay to get rid of my last dust-covered one.  I'll ship it to you if you want it... or swing by next time you're in the states... Come to think of it, anyone need a well-worn but still running Terrablock?)

So I replaced my crazy LOUD 48 TB Terrablock fiber server at the end of its $1900/year service contract... with a faster, quieter, 96tb (65 in raid 6, I think) smarter server for about $3800 (including tax and Mimiq licenses.). I probably should have bought a spare drive while they were on sale, I suppose...

As long as I don't allow the qnap server to go onto the internet, it should be safe from the viruses that are starting to target it- they get in when it's used in its other possible configurations.

One of the convenient, unintentional, 'bonus' features of the qnap OS is that the folders  (Which appears as local drives on the client) scale dynamically: you don't need to pre- allocate storage space for a specific project like with unity or Facilis.  It also has a USB 3 port right on the front of it, so you can mount external devices and quickly copy them.  Of course, that's another quick way to aquire a virus, I suppose.  I only us that for offloading camera cards.


 Pretty fancy stuff for me these days, as I'm quickly slipping into the category of 'hobbiest' editor.  ;-)

Let us know your final test results- what drive is it really??  

I get surround monitoring from Avid or Resolve by pulling channels 1-6 out of SDI via a discontinued BMD adapter (recommended by Jay M, iirc.) I Don't run protools anymore, though I have a license in a drawer somewhere...

Happy New Year!  

GH
________________________
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
GK Huson, LLC
Greg (at) SecretHQ.com
www.SecretHQ.com


On Jan 2, 2020, at 21:02, wilsonchao <wilsonchao@gmail.com> wrote:


My holiday gift to myself was a pair of Western Digital 8TB drives for $130 each from Amazon:


These are sold as consumer-grade external desktop drives with a USB-3 interface, but if you shuck them from their plastic cases, inside you'll find Western Digital "White Label" SATA drives, and on the printed label you'll find the cryptic code "MSIP-REM-HGJ-US7SAL100".  Google that code and you'll find that these are actually made by the HGST Japan Ltd. (Hitachi Global Storage Technologies) arm of Western Digital:


Oddly enough, if you Google the final code "US7SAL100" you'll find this data sheet:


... And if you trace the "(previously known as Ultrastar He10)" claim on that page you'll come to this data sheet:


... which says these are helium-filled, 7200rpm "enterprise" hard drives for "data center" applications.  But these WD Element boxes are marketed as 5400rpm drives, so what gives?  I'm guessing that these are "derated" (i.e. intentionally crippled) drives for the consumer market because WD thinks it's more cost-efficient to run fewer assembly lines.  So yeah, HGST 8TB, helium-filled "enterprise" SATA drives for $130 each; a great deal...

After testing them overnight, I put them both in a dual-bay Akitio drive enclosure, primarily because I want a ventilation fan for any drive that I'm going to run constantly:


I'm ignoring the Akitio RAID controller, just using the box to give me two independent volumes with a single USB-3 connection.  Works fine & I'm happy!




On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 4:28 PM Job ter Burg (L2) <Job_L2@terburg.com> wrote:
I think this is exactly what Xmas holidays are for!

Me, I finally took the time to add the RME HDSPe card to my z840 so that I can run 5.1 from Pro Tools with picture coming through the Nitris DX.
Had wanted to do this for about 5 years.

J

>  The house sound cloud has returned, in sync, and works well with the iPad, as I edit with Avid on a MBP, and write long stories like this. If anyone on the L2 found this entertaining, or is happy about now finding a way to get Airplay 2 into an old 5.1 or 7.1 receiver via an AppleTV puck, then maybe it was worth sharing.




No comments:

Post a Comment