Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Re: [Avid-L2] Mac local storage for Avid media recommendations

Happy so far with a new drive: OWC's Elite Pro Dock, using as an 8TB RAID 0 workhorse, and dock, with Thunderbolt 3. That's connected to OWC's Thunderbay 4 for a 12TB RAID 5  backup and extra storage. Eventually everything goes to old reliable, a 2013 Pegasus R6 10TB RAID 5 for archiving via Thunderbolt 2. 

G-Drives are / were great, I haven't had one fail as yet, but I recently switched to OWC and like their tech support and quality build overall. 
  
Roberto Miller
Pure Grain Digital • Mountain View • San Francisco • Lyon



On Dec 10, 2019, at 3:02 PM, Secret HQ <Greg@SecretHQ.com> wrote:

We sold our office building and I'm downsized to just two bays- it didn't make fiscal sense to keep paying the service contract on the terrablock, so I asked Bob Zelin to talk me through setting up a QNAP - it's crazy fast and dirt cheap.   I've got 8x12tb, raid 6, so 65tb of useable space.    For avid, as indiesor Mimiq tineach client and it gives you bon locking and everything you're used to.

All in, including drives, under 4K.  (I used 5400 rpm drives to save $, but the recommended speed is 7200.  I get sustained 600Mbps with the slower drives, so I'm happy!

The box I bought has 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports, but the more typical install is a 10gig e switch for a dozen users.  

Also, they include all kinds of software, including some that allows you to set it up in a remote mirror-type situation, so can sync through the internet.  (I haven't tried that- my clients don't allow servers to be connected to the internet.)

Worth looking in to.

________________________
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
GK Huson, LLC
Greg (at) SecretHQ.com


On Dec 10, 2019, at 13:16, wilsonchao <wilsonchao@gmail.com> wrote:


Back in Nov. 2014 I bought eight RAID enclosures by Akitio as locally-attached media storage for Avids.  Here's the current version (mine are from the previous USB 3.0 generation):


So far (5 years) they have all been working flawlessly.  Each enclosure, with 2 spindles in a RAID 0 pair, will easily sustain 4 multicam streams of DNxHD 145, all the way from empty past 90% full.  I've been using only HGST and Toshiba drives (cousins, if not siblings, after the Hitachi - Western Digital shotgun marriage of 2012) and so far I have no complaints.

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 2:52 PM Jay Mahavier via Groups.Io <jay_mahavier=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Looking for some local storage recommendations for a trashcan Mac.  We got a G-Tech Shuttle XL 


And it is just terrible.  I mean if I'm doing a finder level copy of a ton of data it's very fast, but as media storage it is just very slow to respond and scrub a timeline or clip.  This is comparing it to an identical MacPro with the same project and media that's on an ISIS.  The systems are being used as offline editors with DNx LB media, so the bandwidth isn't huge.  But it does need to be 30TB+ because the it's going to mirror the ISIS, just in a remote location.


Thank you for your recommendations.


Jay




No comments:

Post a Comment