Saturday, November 30, 2019

Re: [Avid-L2] How to set up HDR Avid Project with Panny Varicam 35 Vlog, Vgamut material?

The only reason we are doing it is they are requiring it.  I have no doubt that an HDR image stands out better than SDR.  The consensus I've heard is that SDR compared to HDR is a much greater image improvement than 4K over HD.  Sadly marketing has tied HDR to 4K.  I think 5.1 surround sound adds to the viewing experience by making the sound more immersive.  I haven't been to any ATMOS screenings so I can't speak to that.  It seems that the improvement in home theaters is pushing the theatrical side of things to shift to things like ATMOS and DolbyVision to entice people to come to the theaters for the big screen and sound experience.  

Not sure where HDR fits into all this but it seems after 3D fizzled again and UHD 4K was out HDR is another way to get people to buy new TVs.  I'm not saying it's not a visual improvement but the workflows seem burdensome to me and the list of deliverables is fatiguing.  I'm just trying to shovel one Nit at a time but I think I need a bigger shovel or maybe it's a smaller shovel with more metadata.  My brain really hurts. 


On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 10:52 AM, Pat Horridge wrote:
Which all comes down to my question on HDR. What does it bring to telling the story?
Unless you are using HDR then what's the point of going that route?
It's similar to 5.1 surround. Unless it needs to bring something to it then why? 
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#133679) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment