Friday, November 29, 2019

Re: [Avid-L2] Ffmpeg to make mxf files

Creating Avid MXF is not that difficult.
BUT, you need to use FFmpeg to create DNxHD (or perhaps ProRes, long time since I've checked.)
Then you have assets.
Those need to be rewrapped into Avid compliant MXF. For that you can use open source code from the BBC.
(BMX lib is the latest from memory, but if you're on mac, you have to compile on the machine you want to run it on, you can't take it to another machine. (At least, last time I've checked, and that was years ago.)

Now, I was threatened by Avid not to sell this, but I could if I would, if you would download the BBC code yourself.

If you can script, and you enjoy cursing a couple of evenings, it's fun to do it yourself though!

However, AMA and consolidate is about the same as the BBC code re-wrap to Avid MXF.
The BBC did this to make an ingest machine long time ago. (EVS style thing. I've done the same, based on FFmpeg, possible, even when I don't have a fraction of the resources the BBC has.) 
Only reason to do this is if your avid has no time to consolidate AMA linked files. Otherwise it makes no sense.
(An AMA consolidate is also a file copy / meta data adding.)

Another thing (and I'm working on that now), if you relink AMA `files to a (modified / custom) ALE, and then consolidate, the new metadata gets burned in as well.

That might be handy. I'm now working on something that takes AMA files, and can merge / split / add columns, and fill all with custom data (eg CDL info)
It was made for someone who goes from Resolve to Avid, and not everything seemed to work well. (I must admit I did not understand all, I just made the darn thing…)

Oh, if you go onto the FFmpeg user list (high quality feedback, very busy, BBC guys hang there also), stay quiet for a few days to feel the place, 
and NEVER EVER top post. (If you don't know what that is, google it. I'm doing it here right now.)

Bouke

Edit 'B / VideoToolShed.com
van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS  Nijmegen
+31 6 21817248

On 28 Nov 2019, at 21:02, Pierre <ph@cineaste.org> wrote:

Yep that's our famous Bouke!
It looks like it uses Ffmpeg indeed.
But I don't want to venture on his pasture though.
Having said that, it looks like development has stopped since the page says: "Due to licensing negotiations with Avid this product is currently not for sale."

No comments:

Post a Comment