Thursday, November 7, 2019

Re: [Avid-L2] DolbyVision Grading without CMU?

 

In Resolve 15.x color page, you can disable it in the Dolby trim interface tab (target monitor) or disable dual output mode (not the same thing as dual SDI mode) in your project settings. 

DQS


On Nov 7, 2019, at 1:12 AM, bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 I had an HDR class that set up Resolve with a fake 3D Stereo mode using one eye for HDR and one for SDR.  We didn't get deep into the setup.  I believe there is a section in the manual related to this.  Where do I disable the secondary trim output?  I looked in the video desktop software but didn't see anything related to secondary outputs.  AJA control panel use to and probably still does have those choices but that use to be for down or cross converts.


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <gowanuscanalstinks@....> wrote :

We have Sony OLEDs 4K TV. Not sure if they have Dolby Vision support. 
But yes it should trigger the DV activation. 

Just disable the secondary / trim output. You can still view the main HDR (1000 nits, D65, 2020) output. 

Rant:
Avid needs to implement a DV workflow ASAP. Every HDR we have done so far is DV based. 


DQS


On Nov 5, 2019, at 8:01 PM, bigfish@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Perhaps you have found my snag.  I was probably in UHD or DCI 4K mode.  Can you confirm that if I get it set correctly I should see the Dolby Vision logo pop up briefly when I go into the tunnel mode?  That's what was happening at the seminar I was at.  I think they were using Samsung monitors.  They had an external CMU and feed the main with HDMI.  They weren't using Resolve but I believe it was Cortex software but it might have been a different manufacturer.


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <gowanuscanalstinks@...> wrote :

You have to enable HDMI metadata in Resolve in order to tunnel. 

The Dolby software algorithm handles both the HDMI and SDI output. The HDMI should be outputting the main out. If you need to see the Trim version it would need to be the second SDI output of your IO (check Dolby Vision best practices document for the proper settings). 

Note that you can't output main and trim in 4K, only up to HD. You will need the Decklink 8K Pro for 4K dual Dolby output. 


DQS


On Nov 4, 2019, at 9:42 PM, John Moore bigfish@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


I asked about monitoring DolbyVision without a CMU before but I think it might have been on the Editing List.  Here's what the Resolve manual says:

  1. Dolby VisionTM

    DaVinci Resolve 15 includes a GPU-accelerated software version of the Dolby Vision CMU (Content Mapping Unit) for doing Dolby Vision grading and finishing workflows right in either the free version of DaVinci Resolve or in DaVinci Resolve Studio. This is enabled and set up in the Color Management panel of the Project Settings with the Enable Dolby Vision checkbox.

    Dolby Vision settings in the Color Management panel of the Project Settings

    There are five controls available:

    • ‚  Enable Dolby Vision: Turns Dolby Vision on and off. When on, this checkbox enables the Dolby Vision palette in the Color page.

    • ‚  Dolby Vision version pop-up: Lets you choose which version of the Dolby Vision algorithms to use. Options at the time of this writing include 2.9 and 4.0.

    • ‚  Master Display pop-up: Lets you choose the nit level and gamut of the master HDR display you're grading on.

    • ‚  Use External CMU: A checkbox lets you choose whether to use the built-in software CMU or a hardware CMU that you have connected to your DaVinci Resolve workstation.

So what does this mean with my Resolve 15.4 and my Avid DNxIO feeding HDMI to my LG 2016 OLED.  It seems when the monitor is fed Dolby Vision the Dolby Vision Icon should pop up indicating the monitor is now working in Dolby Vision.  I've never tried this before so I've never seen the LOGO on my LG.  I did see it pop up at a seminar on a display that was demonstrating Tunneling from IIRC a Cortex box using a CMU.

What is the difference between Tunneling and this supposed built in GPU accelerated software version in Resolve.  I can put an output LUT to map to 2084 etc... and I see the levels on the scope drop from my 709 timeline like I would expect them to but I don't see my LG pop into Dolby Vision Mode.

I also found this which may be at the core of the issue.  Perhaps my Avid branded doesn't work the same as a BM UltraStudio?

  • ‚  HDR Mastering is for: (Only available in Studio version) If you have a DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G or an UltraStudio 4K Extreme video interface, then DaVinci Resolve 12.5 and above can output the metadata necessary to correctly display HDR video signals to display devices using HDMI 2.0a when you turn on the "Enable HDR metadata over HDMI" checkbox in the Master Project Settings.

    The Enable HDR metadata over HDMI option in the Master Project Settings lets you output HDR via HDMI 2.0a

    When you do so, a setting in the Color Management panel of the Project Settings, "HDR mastering is for X" lets you specify the output, in nits, to be inserted as metadata into the HDMI stream being output, so that the display you're connecting to correctly interprets it. The output you specify should match what your display is expecting.

Anybody played around with this?



John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@...

__._,_.___

Posted by: Gowanus Canal <gowanuscanalstinks@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment