Wednesday, November 27, 2019

[Avid-L2] HDR vs SDR in production?

I picked up one of the Aja Hi5 4K Plus sdi to hdmi converters and I can in fact enable HDR.  Also I see the my 2016 LG OLD does put up a flag for HLG or when sent 2084 an HDR flag comes up.  It's not the DolbyVision logo it just say HDR.  I assume this is because the converter just turns on the flag for 2084 but there is no DolbyVision Metadata.  I'm still not clear on why I can't get Resolve to spit out the DolbyVision metadata down the HDMI output but it may be that the DNxIO just doesn't support it like the BM Ultrastudio 4K Extreme does.

I've been told by a network/streaming company that when we shoot Vlog, Vgamut it isn't really SDR or HDR.  I take this to mean that from the Vlog media it can be transformed into SDR or HDR.  I guess my 3 plus decades of Rec 709 SDR are clouding my grasp of this.  I would think it would be helpful to know if the material was shot as HDR or SDR to help interpret the video essence when transforming it.  If it were RAW sensor data that would be different but doesn't it help to know what type of signal, HDR or SDR, was fed into the Vlog transform to make the media.  Given how most of the meat of the video signal in HDR is below 50% in level which is roughly 100 nits which would be 100% in SDR doesn't it matter when transforming the material?

Clearly I'm misunderstanding the steps in the workflow or I'm over/under thinking.  Help me Mr. HDR Wizard!!!

Also I don't seem to see an HDR10 or HDR10+ choice on the Aja Hi5.  There is HLG and Smpte 2084.  IIRC 2084 uses the PQ curve or is that just DolbyVision.  Why would I see no choice for HDR10/HDR10+. 


I'm trying hard to be Thankful for Turkey day but it feels like I'm trying to decode a Turducken combined with an OKI Dog. ;-)


John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

No comments:

Post a Comment