Thursday, September 12, 2019

[Avid-L2] Monitoring and Running out of Vram on GTX-680 vs. Radeon 5770?

 

MacPro Mid 2010 upgraded to 12Core 3.33GHz, 32GB Ram, Mac  OS 10.12.6, GTX-680 2048MB Vram.

About 3 months ago I replaced the GPU from a Radeon 5770 to the GTX-680.  I installed the correct Nvidia driver and it will check for updates etc...  I have noticed a tendency for the system to vaporize when I have Avid MC 2018.12.3 or 2018.12.7 open then open Adobe Media Encoder and start an export in AME. 

Today I had just AME running no Avid and I opened After Effects.  I got a prompt the 3D ray trace would not be GPU accelerated due to lack of enough Vram.  This seems to support my gut feeling I've been vaporizing due to Vram limitations.  I was seeing similar vaporizing on my home system on my home system even though I have an expansion chassis with two Titan X GPUs.  At home I found out that even though I had set up the extra GPUs and OS update defaulted back to the Mac OS native driver so the Titan X GPUs were not being recognized correctly.  I fixed that on the home system enabling the proper Nvidia driver.

I didn't see this kind of vaporization until I switched to the GTX-680.  The Radeon 5770 had 1048MB vram so half the Vram.  Curious why would the GTX-680 be more prone to vaporization?

When I say "Vaporization" I mean I'll be going along not necessarily even interacting with the computer through keyboard or wacom and poof screens go black and the computer cycles into a reboot after about 30 secs to a minute and wakes up with the computer was not shut down properly dialogue stuff.

I've learned that with High Sierra they have included GPU monitoring in Activity monitor but I'm on Sierra and can't upgrade in the foreseeable future.  Is there any utility that would let me monitor Vram usage and overall GPU usage on mac OS 10.12.6?

I guess I could have a flaky GTX-680.  I have one at home that is fine and the one at work has been going non stop for many years since about the time the GTX-680 mac version came out.  I suppose it could have some intermittent problems but I thought it would be a step up from the 5770 due to the extra cuda cores when I use Resolve for processing etc...

Of course spending money for a new GPU on an older MacPro would be hard to get through.

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment