Tuesday, April 17, 2018

[Avid-L2] Setting/Examing MetaData Flag in .mov for Full Range vs. Legal Range?

 

My workflow for 4K QC is to render my upper track safe color limit to ProResHQ and do the same with submasters over filler.  This creates a QT Ref export that is ProResHQ and I check legal levels on the QT ref export settings in Avid.  My source media is DNxHR HQX.  When I open the QT Ref in QT Pro 7 it shows ProResHQ as the codec.  I do a save as and everything is fine on my end.  If I link back to the resulting self contained .mov it is proper level on my external scope and matches the timeline and Avid sees it as ProResHQ.  There are no source setting vid level scalers being applied as I've checked.  This tells me the video essence in this file is legal level.  I can also take the file into Black Magic Media Express and it is proper Rec 709 Legal level.

QC is saying my file is full range but I know it isn't.  Clearly something on their end is either interpreting the file incorrectly or their is an improper flag in the meta data of the file.  We are waiting to hear back from QC for clarification.  I've had them flag this before and a few years back another facility said something similar about an HD file I made using the same basic workflow.

So how can one access the Full Range vs. Legal metadata flag in a .mov?  I have media info but don't recall such a parameter listed.  I know the video essence is legal level based on all my tests and the fact that it was a QT ref out of avid with the legal level box checked. 

What is the most accurate and thorough way to check a .mov metadata related to legal vs. full range?
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment