Tuesday, March 27, 2018

[Avid-L2] Re: [Editing-List] Bad Pixel changes location on HDMI 4K LG OLED monitor?

 

Screen saver.

Many monitors these days have a burn-in saver feature that slightly shifts the picture around by pixels so that the display is saved from burn-in. Many times this can be lowered as effect but not turned off. The last models of Panasonic plasmas have it, and you can not turn it off.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 6:00 PM, John Moore bigfish@pacbell.net [Editing-List] <Editing-List@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

I've been hunting 4K pixels the last couple of days.  Gotta love QC.  25 pages with 203 issues.  Almost all the issues are with the two main cameras and some bad pixels that are intermittent.  My monitor for the hunt is:

I have a PVM A250 reference monitor feed off the down convert output spigot 3 of the DNxIO.  The project is 4K 4096x2160.  I set the video hardware to 3840x2160 UHD so the LG 4K UHD monitor gets the proper piller box which in this case is a letterbox.

After much scrutiny I find the pixels in question and I tear off a post it and stick it to the LG screen to make it obvious to the eye.  I've also jacked up the black level like crazy.  This was a suggestion by QC folks last year when they told me they were using an LG OLED.  Unlike the Sony the black level can be raised way up.

So I find the pixels and put up the post its to mark them on the LG.  I use BCC Pixel fixer and voila it works.  Throughout the day as I come to other shots from the same camera I see the flickering pixel issues but they have moved not quite a half inch from where I had put the post its on the other shot from the same camera.  WTF?  When I put the saved BCC Pixel Fixer effect on it works perfectly so to me that means the bad pixels are still in the same place on the raster.  So what would make the pixels appear in slightly different positions on the LG monitor?

The pixel movement seems to be side to side on the LG screen.  I found myself retweaking the post its to better line up with the bad pixels but then 5 to 10 minutes later on another shot from the same camera they are off again.  I can't imagine the post its are sliding on the screen surface.  The bad pixels are so small I can't really make them out on the PVM A250 but the edges of the rasters appear to be virtually identical when I look at bright points of light at the edge of the screen they appear to be in the same position relative to the edge of the screen between the PVM and the LG OLED 55 inch.

To the best of my knowledge I've turned off all the picture controls that handle denoising etc... so I don't think that would be causing any shift in the image position on the screen.  I don't use the LG for critical color correction or image analysis but for pixel hunting it helps with the raised black level and large screen size.  It's feed with HDMI out of the DNxIO so it gets a UHD signal.  It will also display a 2K 2048x2160 image if I set the Avid video hardware to 4096x2160 but it then stretches the image vertically regardless of the settings for piller box in Avid.  I assume when I set the Avid Video Hardware to 4096x2160 the HDMI signal is still UHD but then there is no letterboxing.

Bottom line I don't really know why the bad pixels seem to move side to side from the post its.  I spent the day chasing them back and forth but given the pixel fixer effect always worked I have to believe the pixels are in the same spot it's just something in the display signal flow/monitor that are shifting the apparent position on screen.

Anybody ever noticed this type of behavior?
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net


__._,_.___

Posted by: Mark Spano <cutandcover@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment