Thursday, January 25, 2018

Re: [Avid-L2] OT ish: Newertech Voyager Q Hard Drive Dock is there something better to consider?

 

Love the Anker docs. I highly recommend them.

I ended up replacing all my Voyagers (as they died one at a time) with the Anker docks.

--
Tim McLaughlin
Premiere Pro, Final Cut, and Avid Editor


On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 7:08 AM, Dan McCabe danlist@bestmail.us [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

FWIW After having a couple Voyagers flake out on me I switched to Anker and it has worked great. It is USB 3 and E-sata. While I appreciate legacy hardware (as he stares at his 3/4" deck...next to the Beta SP deck...next to...) I don't know if you'll find Firewire as well.


On Wed, Jan 24, 2018, at 6:00 PM, John Moore bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2] wrote:
 


I've had a couple newertech voyager q hard drive docks for years.  I found one didn't work well with on my work computer using usb 3 but it worked fine using esata before they changed my work computer to a usb 3 card.  The other one was just the opposite and worked well with usb 3 at the work computer but not so well with esata on my home computer.  I kind of chalk these behaviors up to varying chip sets in the various components.  It seems along the way manufacturers will make  a change in the chips they are using or maybe it's just a different run of chips from the component manufacturers.  I'm just guessing out loud but this has been my experience over the years.

Given I found the voyager I use at the work computer with a physically defective usb 3 connection I am now in the market for a replacement dock.  The newertech voyager q has all the various connections I run in to and they have basically worked with the quirks I've seen above.  I'm curious if any of the more tech savvy folks have a really great hard drive dock that handles usb 3, Esata, and Firewire 800/400 that might be a bit more dependable or robust than the voyager.  At 70 bucks at B&H it's not a big ticket item but if there is something that holds up and performs better I'd look into it.  TIA
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net





__._,_.___

Posted by: Tim McLaughlin <mcltim.156@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment