Thursday, January 11, 2018

[Avid-L2] Wacom nutty issues with Avid MC 8.6.4 thru 8.8.X

 

I have had a long standing issue moving past MC 8.5.3 on two different Mac Avid systems.  One system is mac os 10.9.5 and another is mac os 10.12.5.  The problem I have is subtle but on both systems I found that when I start using my keyboard short cuts to switch from Source Record Editing, Color Corrections and Single View Editing (which I have set to be in effects mode) Avid will hang when I hit CMD+A to select all objects in a Paint effect.  It doesn't happen every time but within a minute or two it does.  If I drag across the effects window the objects get selected correctly. 

The 10.9.5 system has an old intuos 2 tablet but the 10.12.5 system has the latest and greatest wacom driver with an intuos Pro and sometimes an intuos 4. 

I've been fighting this for months and had to back rev to 8.5.3 at the older work system.

I posted about this recently on a thread on Avid Editors on Face Book in response to a different but slightly related version issue.  Bottom line I was told the Avid 10.9.2 solved their wacom issues.

I know there was a string of posts I made a while back related to wacom issues that supposedly started after MC 8.6.4.  It seems various later Avid versions incrementally improved wacom issues and I was able to duplicate that on the older system once I went to 8.6.5 my old wacom was completely whacked out and I couldn't even open a bin.  I think from 8.6.5 thru 8.7.X were the big problem areas.  It also seemed that the newer wacom tablets faired better.

I recently had posted about wacom issues at the finder level and in other apps.  That I resolved with a new pen for my intuos 4 and an update of the driver.

I have been fighting the CMD+A to select object bug now for several months but I am pleased to say that it appears so far that installing 8.9.4 on my newer home system that particular problem went away.

Some speculated that Avid had some how messed up how pen sensitivity was being handled when running Avid.  I don't have the technical chops to play along at that level but it seems to me that even though Avid has been resolving what ever wacom issues cropped up at 8.6.5 this particular issue of selecting objects and hanging happened when I went to 8.6.4 which was the first of the 8.6.X versions I tried.  So if you are still getting some strange quirkiness using wacom and you are running Avid 8.6.X to 8.8.X you might want to try 8.9.4 it finally seems to work for me.

Unfortunately at work OS restrictions will probably keep me from being able to install 8.9.4.  This version and compatibility chasing is so much fun.  I'm sure in the long run it will fuel my creativity.  ;-(

 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment