Monday, December 18, 2017

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: Android vs iPhone WAY OT

 

I have had an iPhone 3, 4, 5 and 6S+.  All but the 6S+ I have had for more than 3 years each (some overlap with more than one phone line)  Only time I have ever had to replace was my 5, and it was a problem right out of the gate, which Apple replaced free in the first week.

All but the 3 had applecare, which may have put the murphy ghosts at bay.

Gotta ask...what are you doing to your poor iPhones?

Side note, when I replaced my iPhone 4 on my Verizon account I went with a Droid Turbo 2.  It does some of the fastest browsing, but is not well integrated to the MacOS world at all.  It's just a different tool, half the price of the iPhone, with more storage (it allows mini sd cards).  The other thing I like about the Motorola line now (HATED MY DROID RAZOR back in the day) is that they don't have hardly any added bloatware that most manufacturers  (E.Gl Samsung) dump on the Android OS before releasing to your device.  This means short of a Google Phone it is the closest to the actual Android software, and updates are faster than all but the Google phone.

Final note...When I had an iPhone on Verizon they had the option to pay insurance (3 or 4 bucks a month) for full replacement of phone, no matter what.  Never needed it.

Dave Hogan
Burbank, CA


On Sunday, December 17, 2017 11:08 PM, "bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2]" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
I'm still milking my vintage Black Berry Torch 9810 phone.  Half the emojis people send me are unrecognizable but I can talk and text on it and check emails.  The slide up screen is the thing to reveal a Qwerty Keyboard with real buttons to push is what keeps me from going to one of those awful touch screen only phones.  I'm all thumbs and can't stand any Apple keyboard after the G5 style. 

Perhaps I'm not the one to give advice on this front but I'm not really set in my ways.


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <Greg@...> wrote :

Hey guys

This is way OT, but you're a smart and tech-savvy bunch, slightly rebellious, who work the way I do, mostly, so asking friends is a good way to get advice:

Not trying to start any kind of flame-war here, but it appears my 3rd (or 4th?) iphone in a year just died! Out-of-warranty replacement is $300 every time.

I could upgrade from 6 to 8 and loose my headphone jack, but also get apple care, which would reduce my damage/replacement costs, that would be retail price for the phone, I think.

I'm considering switching to the google phone and project Fi, but not entirely keen on the google environment, and don't know how that will integrate with my apple laptop. Also, what happens with iChat, and the other integrated apps? (Not to mention I'll have to re-buy all my filmmaker-type apps.)

Has anyone else taken this step? Project Fi requires a google phone, but is so cheap compared to my ATT bill, particularly when we traveling out of the US, but only if it provides the same things I get with iPhone. Also, how 'big brother' is google? And is adroid as solid as IOs, or does it suffer from being 'too open?'

Appreciate opinions. buying a new iphone 3-4 times a year, even at half-price, makes me feel stupid. (They won't sell me applecare for the in-warranty replacement.)

gh
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
Chief
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Production / Post Production
Culver City, CA
323 677 2092
www.SecretHQ.com
t @SecretHQinc


__._,_.___

Posted by: Dave Hogan <mactvman@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment