Saturday, December 16, 2017

[Avid-L2] Myriad of Color Spaces in Format Tab vs. Video Output Settings?

 

I'm running MC 8.6.4 with a DNxIO Mac OS 10.12.5 on MacPro Mid 2012 12 Core 2.66GHz.  I'm playing around with a 4K Project 4096x2160.  The project was done YCbCr 709 originally.  Now I'm trying to understand what the various color space choices do to the image. 

With the video output setting color space set to project I don't see much change to the output on the scope or monitor when I change the Project Format color space.  If I just change the video output setting from project to various choices like RGB full range or Aces I see changes in the output signal.  I don't understand why when I set the parameter to follow the project I don't see the same changes when I go back and switch the color spaces in the format.  I think I am not understanding the spirit of these settings.

Also I'm set to single link so I can take output SDI  C and D to get the downconvert to HD from 4K for my HD scope and ref monitor.  I'm assuming that the settings in the video output setting are there to match what the monitoring equipment can handle so I sort of understand why toggling the project format color space doesn't change the video output but then what does it mean to set the video output setting to "Project"?

In looking in Avid help it says the project format color space determines how the media will be processed in Avid and the color space in video output is to be set to match the hardware capabilities.  Here is from the help file:

Your choice of a color space depends on both your input/output hardware and your desired output. For information on how to define the color space for a project, see Setting the Project Color Space.
If your hardware supports both RGB and YCbCr, choose the color space that corresponds to your output needs.
If your hardware supports only YCbCr, you can choose RGB for your project color space to maintain maximum quality throughout your workflow. Your Avid editing application converts your material to YCbCr right before sending it to the hardware for monitoring or output.
The project color space specifies how your Avid editing application processes effects in real time. Your Avid editing application supports native processing of effects in either the RGB or YCbCr color spaces. For example, this means that RGB media does not need to be converted to YCbCr for processing, maintaining maximum video quality until the final output.

So I'm very confused what leaving the video output set to match the project does because when I manually set it the results are obvious but when left set to "Project" I see little if any change in the output when changing color spacessin the project format tab.

All this investigation is an attempt to understand how to work in HDR in Avid.  I took an old 4k project and I expected the video output level to change drastically when I switched to a SMPTE 2084(HDR) project format but I don't see an image change on the monitor or scope.  Clearly I'm not understanding the intentions of the various setting.  I've been told you can definitely send HDR over HDMI to a monitor like my LG HDR capable OLED 4K monitor but I'm not seeing the obvious path how to get there.

Also since I'm using the HD downconvert output from the DNxiO I might be missing the actual output level change that may be occurring on the HDMI output.  My 4K monitor is not at my home system now to test with.

Anybody using an Avid HDR workflow or one of the newer exotic formats like Rec 2020 or DCI-P3?  I'm trying to understand the where, why and when of these new formats and how to work with them in Avid.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment