Friday, October 6, 2017

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: [Editing-List] OT: Lab Puppy meets Mag Safe Mac Power Cord?

 

Ground is not a conductor. Ground is not (-) either. Ground is potential reference.

This part of the cable is a single (+) conductor with a ground.

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 1:24 AM, bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Yes two conductors, plus + on the center conductor and ground - on the shield.  I was just curious if the use of shielded cable was to protect against outside RF/emf interference inducing noise on the power cable or to keep the power cable from creating an interference field to wires around it.  Or perhaps a little of both.  Given the DC nature I'd doubt it would interfere with other stuff but perhaps minute fluctuations in the voltage or current would generate something to cause interference in surrounding cables, especially line level analogue audio.  Just wondering out loud.



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <cutandcover@...> wrote :

Mmm… breaded mesh shield…

Assuming you're talking about the cable post-transformer connecting to the computer side, it makes total sense to have a shield and single conductor since at that point it would be DC power (+VDC conductor and ground).



On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 1:49 PM, John Moore bigfish@... [Editing-List] <Editing-List@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

With a new Lab Puppy, Parker, in the house I've warned everyone about leaving cables in puppy zones.  Last night Parker found a tasty chomp fest in my daughter's mag safe power supply for her macbook pro.  No biggie I broke out the heat shrink and solder iron and it's fixed.  I'm curious about the power cable.  It has a fairly big center conductor and a heavy breaded mesh shield.  None of that is surprising but I'm curious why the choice of a shielded cable over a twin lead cable given it's a power supply.

I assume the use of the shielded cable is to avoid in emf noise effecting the power on the cable.  I haven't checked what the voltage is on the connector but is the shield to avoid interference from the outside world causing noise on the power input or is it to avoid noise being radiated out to the outside world.  I guess with all the cables running into the macbook pro in a more or less parallel configuration the shielding makes sense to avoid any cross talk.  No problem with my solder job but it made me wonder a shield cable was used.

On a pure puppy note I'm wondering if anybody knows if Thunderbolt cable is more or less tasty than the mag safe cable?  I don't want to spring for a taste test.  Also as I step into the world of potty training I'm thinking of using the term "LUT" for going number one and "LOG" for going number two.  I figure if  LUTs can piss me off the term can certainly be used to make Parker go number one.  LOG speaks for itself.  ;-)  My hope is I will issue the command in front of some DPs at the Dog Park and maybe they will take the hint.  I like my dog park like my video, WYSIWYG.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@...



__._,_.___

Posted by: Mark Spano <cutandcover@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment