Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Re: [Avid-L2] Jpeg imports look correct but l inking to Jpeg is washed out off level?

 

For stills I always do traditional import but this was just a quick comparison so I figured just like I would with a QT .mov I would link to the still to compare levels quickly.  That is how I QC exports of show masters but there is clearly something wonky if the ama/linked still show up likes it's been scaled even more than the usual Full Range to Legal Level and then a traditional import and the still is correct level.  Also the fact that it's only happening with jpegs in my few tests means something is wrong under the hood IMHO.



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <jb30343@...> wrote :

Avid has made some significant improvements in linking.  For correctly sized still graphics, the old fashioned import wins hands down.  Linking then fiddling with source settings then transcoding is pretty clumsy.  JB 



Sent from myMail for iOS


Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 5:32 PM -0500 from Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>:


I've seen this before but I'm finally on Avid versions that have the source browser.  I'm on mac pro 10.9.5 OS Avid 8.6.4 and when I link to a jpeg I've exported from Avid the levels are washed out and low in gain.  There is no indication of source settings applying any scaling.  To eliminate Avid's jpeg export I took my smpte 219 color bars tiff and it links at perfect level.  I then opened the bars tiff in photoshop and resaved as a jpeg.  It defaulted to embedding a color profile and that seemed unchangeable.  After saving the bars tiff as a jpeg when I link to the bars jpeg the levels are again washed out and low in gain.

If I do a traditional import the levels come out correct so what is up with linking to a jpeg in Avid.  Is this a Mac thing?  I do not have Perian installed so I don't think that's a factor.  I've seen this behavior before when there was no source browser so I think it's the same bug.  I'm going to google but if anybody has sorted this out please share with the group.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@...


__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment