Thursday, October 19, 2017

[Avid-L2] 171019 Odd MXF file structure?

 

Been working on a workflow test with a network.  They provided AvidMedia Files and bin for the test clip to export as jpeg2k mxf.  There is a complaint about the 5.1 audio stems loudness.  This is a clip from a show master so everything is just going through as unity on my end.  It seems the source material is off to begin with.  There are 12 tracks to the clip two of which are silent as per spec.  I don't have a loudness meter but using infinite hold I see all the tracks are peaking around +3db with the exception of the Lfe which is lower and the stereo M&E which is hitting 0.  The complaint is on the discrete 5.1 tracks and not on the stereo mix tracks all of which peak at the same levels on infinite hold.

I know that peak level is different than loudness.  I assume loudness is more the dialogue norm type spec they are sighting.  We are trying to clarify with the network.  When I do a test with bars and tone everything comes out at correct level so I'm convinced I'm not doing anything other than passing things through at unity.  If there were audio tracks being multed I would expect to see far different track overshoot than I am.

The network also gave us an mxf file of the entire episode.  I'm not sure what it was created in but there is a "master" .mxf then in a sub folder are individual .mxf files for video and 6 stereo audio tracks and a vanc track.  The master file is "xmn1792625.mxf" then there is a folder named "media" that contains "xmn1792625_v0.mxf". "xmn1792625_vanc0.mxf" and 6 audio files "xmn1792625_a0" with the additional audio files changing the suffix to a1-a2 etc... for a total of six stereo tracks.

In Avid I can link to the master file or the individual files.  When I first linked to the master file it showed offline in Avid but when I started to link to the individual media files it popped online.  This file includes bars and tone which play back correctly but the audio tracks are in a whacky order.  This file show the exact same audio peak that I'm experiencing with the avidmedia files the network provided.  All I can see is I'm passing things through at unity and it seems the mix we were given is off.  More will be revealed on this

I'm curious if anyone knows what software creates master .mxf files that point to subfoldered media files.  When I export my .mxf J2k file Avid creates a single file that has video and audio tracks.  Whatever this file came from the structure is different.  There is also a "manifest.xml", "shim.xml" and an "extra folder that contains an "amberfin.com" folder that contains some QC stuff I guess.  Does this point to this master mxf file coming from an Amberfin server thing?  Or is this something Premiere might create.  Just trying to play along with the network.


John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment