Friday, August 18, 2017

Re: [Avid-L2] Favorite mac encoder these days?

 


Adobe Media Encoder automatically deinterlaces for progressive outputs. 

Yes, it does. It's just not the greatest. After Effects is commonly considered one of the better software deinterlacers and the best of the Adobe suite. For my last project, where I had many interlaced SD source shots, I compared several paths in Adobe, including After Effects. I followed several recommended recipes, and then compared the best results (After Effects) to Handbrake with optimized settings. Handbrake gave me better results. It took about a dozen tests to find those optimized settings, but they were slightly better than After Effects. And still not as good as could be achieved. 

My experience using hardware (mostly AJA Kona 3) are better, but using hardware to scale files requires round-tripping to tape, which is impractical for me. 

I've also had very peculiar problems with hardware deinterlacing and scaling on input. It looks great, as long as the footage does not require further processing. But on the last project where I did this, scaling this footage a bit further (which the card can't do), resulted in a bizarre and completely unacceptable moire pattern in the footage. I have no idea why, but I had to fall back to software deinterlacing. This was depressing.

So, I'm still looking for software scaling that can rival hardware scaling. It should be possible. After all, what happens in hardware is ultimately just a software process. But...

Cheers,
            tod



__._,_.___

Posted by: hoplist@hillmanncarr.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (13)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment