Saturday, August 5, 2017

Re: [Avid-L2] EVGA GeForce GTX TitanX in expansion chassis MacPro won't boot?

 

Do you have the right driver installed?


On 05/08/2017 3:47 AM, John Moore bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2] wrote:
My home system is a Mid 2012 MacPro 12Core 2.66GHz 64GB Ram NVidia GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB in the Tower running Mac OS 10.10.5.  I finally got around to installing my Cyclone Microsystems Expansion chassis and it seems to be working in that it powers up when when I start up the MacPro but as soon as I install my EVGA GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5 GPU (super clocked) in the expansion chassis the computer won't boot.  The progress bar start and goes maybe 1/8 of the bar and stalls then the computer screen goes black and the tower reboots to repeat the same action.  Turning off the expansion chassis or pulling the Titan X and the computer boots.

I had heard people had successfully used Titan GPU cards but I guess they were talking about older Titan black or some such card.  The GPU is for a PC and I'm not sure if MacVid Cards could flash it for mac.  My intention was to keep the GTX 680 in the Tower and run two of the Titan X cards in the expansion chassis but so far I'm having issues.

Is there something like a safe boot in the mac world that might allow me to trouble shoot further.  I have assumed that the mac would use the internal GTX-680 for boot screen and GUI and the expansion chassis GPUs would get utilized by Resolve and Adobe suite etc... 

I'm going to contact MacVid Cards to see if they have any suggestions but I'm curious what GPU cards other MacPro Tower users have added in expansion chassis with success.  Perhaps a later Mac OS might have more internal compatibility.  My limited understanding is that the Mac OS has the GPU drivers installed already for most cards but perhaps that's not the case with a Titan X.  With the GTX-680 installed in the Tower doesn't the Mac default to using that for the GUI?  Assuming that is correct then is there still a need to install driver software for the Titan X cards to be recognized?  Clearly the Titan X card is being detected and it's throwing a wrench into the booting.

I don't think there is any way to delay the Expansion Chassis power up as it happen automatically from a pulse sent out from the interface card in the 16 lane slot in the Mac Pro.

Does my intent make sense in that I keep the GTX-680 in the tower to maintain the boot screen and then the extra Titan X(s) or more mac compatible GPU cards would only be rocognized by Resolve etc...  I think that much is true as I understand others have this expansion chassis working with Resolve in a Mac environment.

Maybe I just bought this super clocked Titan X in error as it was a Tax Return Write Off and I didn't do much research.  Oh well hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.  TIA


John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: Marcel Brassard <correctype@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment