Saturday, May 20, 2017

Re: [Avid-L2] Level Scaling in Adobe Media Encoder from Avid QT Ref .movs?

 

I tested with Premiere and it works there, but unfortunately MediaEncoder does not accept AAF.

BG
www.finale.tv


From: "bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2]" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>
To: Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, May 20, 2017 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Avid-L2] Level Scaling in Adobe Media Encoder from Avid QT Ref .movs?

 
I haven't used AAFs much other than audio.  Could I AAF the sequence setting it to use referenced media, like I do with a QT Ref, and then import that into Adobe Media Encoder to then bake out XDCam50 and H_264 .movs?  I've always thought of AAF as a means to transfer sequences between differing apps but never thought of Adobe Media Encoder as an AAF compatible app.


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <bogdan_grigorescu@...> wrote :

Premiere appears to ignore QT flags and treats the essence as RGB full range(you can easily check this by exporting QTRefs as full/scaled from Avid and see how premiere shows both identical, whereas QT shows a clear difference in levels - and so does Avid, if you bring them back to it).
Have you considered using AAF as your shuttle between apps? At least it doesn't have the video level switch, so less guesswork I'd say.

BG
www.finale.tv


From: "John Moore bigfish@... [Avid-L2]" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>
To: Yahoogroups <avid-l2@yahoogroups.com>; Yahoogroups <editing-list@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 2:52 PM
Subject: [Avid-L2] Level Scaling in Adobe Media Encoder from Avid QT Ref .movs?

 
I've posted on this topic in the past.  I've read the Avid's DNX HD Codec is different than most if not all other codecs in that it has a flag for Legal vs Full Range video essence level.  In the old Avid's it's termed 601/709 vs. RGB.  Not current Avid's use the Legal and Full Range terms.  No matter what it's called I still get issues when processing in Adobe Media Encoder with Avid exported QT Ref files.

If I use Adobe Media Encoder to bake XDCam50, H264 or ProRes files from an Avid DNX_175X QT Ref file I have to check the box in the export dialogue to RGB or Legal to Full Range depending on which version of Avid I'm running.  This will make files that are correct legal level video essence.  If I instead say stay at legal levels or 601/709 I end up with files with scaled down video essence levels.

If I use Adobe Media Encoder to do the same thing but bake out to a DNX codec the resulting file reflects the export level setting I choose.  So using Full Range Exports that I have to use for the above mention files results in a Full Range DNX file.  The fix is to export as legal level when I'm baking DNX files with AME.

I have just accepted this is how I have to work but I'm pretty sure under the hood there is some metadata flag that may be carrying through to the final files that could lead to a mis interpretation of levels by some software.  I haven't had any complaints on my delivery files but I'm curious if anyone has insight into the reason behind this.  It's as if AME wants things to be Full Range Level except when it comes to DNX codecs.  Anybody got a suggestion about what's going on?
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@...




__._,_.___

Posted by: Bogdan Grigorescu <bogdan_grigorescu@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment