Saturday, April 22, 2017

[Avid-L2] NAB Looky Loo List?

 

I'll be off to NAB Sunday.  I missed it last year due to work.  I figured I'd type of a list of my curiosities and see what suggestions others might have on brands etc...

Here are things I want to learn about:

1)  Proper monitoring for alternate color spaces like Rec 20/20, P3, HDR in it's various flavors.  Scopes, Monitors and how the different project settings in Avid interact e.g. can I work in a Rec 709 project and infrastructure and then in the end switch to Rec 20/20 for output to that world.  Kind of like color correcting in SD then uprezzing in HD and having the color correction apply correctly, not quite the same but sort of the workflow idea.  It seems to me if delivering in Rec 20/20 I would want to work in that color space and then convert to the more restricted color spaces but given most infrastructures I deal with are Rec 709 centric what are practical solutions.

2)  Tools to access files integrity and structure including QC aspects as well as MetaData insertion.  I've used Media Info to look at files metadata and it's the data parser in Tektronix Aurora File QC software.  What others are out that that would show me things like Full Range vs. Legal Range metadata flags, is the media essence 16-235 or 0-255 which might be different than the files meta data flag?  Also some files will play in many players but fail at a particular networks server ingest system, e.g. I've seen files that play fine everywhere but FCP 7.  Granted FCP 7 is EOL but is there software that could access what makes a file not play audio for several frames only in FCP 7?

3)  Clipster seems to be the defacto standard in IMF and other file creations.  Are there other solutions that might be more suitable in a small shop that don't require costly hardware?  If speed isn't a concern what should I look at.

4)  Control Panels for Resolve etc...  I know BM has a few new panels in the 1K and 3K range.  I have an Artist Color but as I haven't really jumped into Resolve workflows too much I haven 't mastered the Artist Color for Resolve.  I'll look at the BM but I would assume that their panels will only work on BM software.  I have baselight plugin so it would be nice to have a panel that like the Artist Color works for both.  I was told in Resolve class there is no way to remap the Artist Color for Resolve, can anyone confirm that?

5)  Copy Software with Checksum to meet Network delivery requirements etc.  We use ShotPut Pro for our limited needs but is there something else to consider.  Also automated backup and manual backup systems to LTO etc...  Storage DNA has been a strong player here in the past who else?  Editshare Flow is asset management does it also handle backup tasks?


These are just a few of the things I hope to learn more about so any suggestions on vendors and whisper rooms etc would be appreciated.

Anybody know if Maxx Digital is doing the Hard Rock party Monday night.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment