Saturday, March 4, 2017

Re: [Avid-L2] More Safe Color Limit Whackyness going between Avid and 3rd party Hardware?

 

Here is another situation where something just doesn't work correctly all the time, and again my advice would be: stop using it. Abandon "Safe Color Limit" because it is terribly untrustworthy.

Do I have another solution for you? Not yet. I've been experimenting ever since I was burned by that black level lift. But I for sure will never use Avid Safe Color Limit again EVER EVER. It doesn't work.

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 11:05 PM, John Moore bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

On my MacPro 12 core OS 10.9.5 system I have a startup drive for DNxIO and one for NitrisDX.  I find that when I create a safe color limit on the DNxIO startup Avid 8.5.3 I need to put -.1 for luma low and 15-235 other wise the limiter will raise the black level of 0 black slightly.  That's nothing new but today I found if I open the same sequence on the same system using the NitrsDX hardware and the NitrisDX startup drive that does not have the Avid version of BM Video Desktop Software the same effect displays a parameter of luma low of 0 not -.1  WTF.  I get that the different hardware units will respond differently with the Nitris DX need 7.4 in the luma low to achieve the same results but to change the read out of the parameter is whacky.

When I go back to the DNxIO startup drive the same sequence and safe color limit effect reads correctly as -.1 in the luma low.  This is really screwy.  Regardless of whether the different hardware units will treat the parameter differently the number shouldn't be changing.  And if it's going to change I would expect the -.1 value to shift to 7.4 which is the corresponding value for the same limiting on Avid hardware. 

The fall out is when switching systems you can really get hosed when legalizing and you can't even trust the effects window read out value.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net


__._,_.___

Posted by: Mark Spano <cutandcover@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment