Sunday, February 5, 2017

[Avid-L2] Avid DNxIO HW Resolution errors?

 

Relating to my recent thread about HIB adapters for the Avid DNxIO I now have a very quirky issue where my home system interprets the Video Output Settings HW Resolutions setting correctly but my work system does not.

Home system is a MacPro mid 2012 12 core 2.66GHz, GTX-680 GPU, 64GB Ram OS 10.9.5 MC 8.5.3 running Avid Artist DNxIO using the HIB card that came with my NitrisDX also purchased Mid 2012, the last version of NitrisDX to the best of my knowledge.

Work system is a MacPro 2010ish that was upgraded to 12core 3.33GHz, ATI Radeon 5770 GPU, 24GB Ram OS 10.9.5 MC 8.5.3 running the same unit Avid Artist DNxIO using the HIB card that came with my purchase of the DNxIO purchased approx a year or so ago in 2015.

Running the same Avid supplied from the download center Video Desktop software ver. 10.7 on both systems.  I brought the installer from the home system to the work system.

The only tangible difference I see is the HIB cards and the PCIe cable.  On the home system I'm using the cable that came with the NitrisDX and at work I'm using the cable that came with my purchase of the DNxIO along with the HIB&Cable.

On my home system setting the BM Video Desktop to Quad Link when I run in HW setting 3840x2160 I get one of the four quadrants coming out each of the 4 links.  When I switch to HW setting 1920x1080 then what was once a quadrant of video is now the full 4K frame of video in HD format.  This is exactly how I would expect things to work.

On the work system with the same settings when I switch to HW setting 1920x1080 I still only see a quadrant of the video on a single link.  If however I switch HW settings to 1280x720 I then see the full frame and the output switches from 23.98 to 59.94.  I understand why the frame rate switches etc... given it's now a 720P signal.  No matter what I've tried I can't get the Avid to output the full frame raster while in 1920x1080 mode.  This is just weird.

I also noticed that on my home system when in the BM video desktop interface when I switch the Psf radio button on and off I see my Tek 7020 scope switch from 1080p to 1080sf, properly displaying the different settings.  Doing the same thing on the work system and there is no change registered on the scope which is also a Tek 7020.

All the while this is going on the LCD display on the DNxIO displays the full image.  I just noticed on my home system when I launch the BM Video Desktop Software it displays Avid Artist DNxIO which would confirm to me I have the correct Avid approved version of the Desktop Video software/driver.  I don't recall if I saw that on the work system, I will have to check that tomorrow, but given I brought the installer from my home system I'm pretty sure they are the same.

Originally on the work system  I was running Avid 8.5.2 so I uninstalled and installed 8.5.3 to match my home system but that didn't get things to work any differently.  I don't recall the BM Video Desktop software being installation order dependent but perhaps given I have uninstalled 8.5.2 after I installed the desktop video software I should uninstall it and reinstall it again.

Given the unit is basically working except for this issue I find it hard to believe that the HIB or cable are at fault but I'm running out of things to try.  Given switching to 1280x720 yield a proper HD SDI full frame image and not the quadrant display I get in 1920x1080 setting I just don't get it. 

On the work system as I toggle the HW settings I find if I switch to the 1280x720 mode and then go to directly to the 1920x1080 mode the image switches back to the quadrant display but the scope still registers as 720P 59.94 signal.  It's only when I switch to 3840x2160 that the output goes back to a 1080P mode, remember I'm monitoring just one link of the quad link signal so they are all just HD signals of the 4 4K quadrants.  With my home system if I do the same HW switching around  the output never stays stuck in 720P so that is a big difference in behavior too.

Tomorrow I will first check if the video desktop software does in fact say Avid Artist DNxIO but beyond that and perhaps a re installation of the video desktop software I really don't see what could be causing this odd behavior.  Could the HIB, GPU card or even the cable cause such different behavior?  My feeling after learning about potential HIB issues in the PC world from yesterday's thread is that if there was a problem related to that the launch would hang and not work at all but that's just my gut not actual experience.  Oh and I did all the new user and new project and switching project things so I don't think those are to blame.  In fact the projects are identical on both systems in that I didn't just migrate bins.  Very weird and whacky stuff for a late Saturday night.  I was so peeved I had to stop at OKI Dog on the way home to add some indigestion to the mix.  ;-)
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment