Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Re: [Avid-L2] OTish: Software for running Checksum on Data Copies Suggestions?

 

So I played with the front end software you suggested and I seem to have copied a file.  Now I have a raid tower with a folder containing all the DPX files for my show. The folder is approx 4 TB of dpx files numbers sequentially.  How would I use arSync to copy this folder to another drive?  Would I have to .zip the folder and then add that as the source in arSync then choose a destination location?  Would I have to create a target folder on the destination drive or could I just choose the drive and have the source file(s) end up on the surface of the drive?  The thought of having to select all the DPX files in the folder seem like a pain hence why I think it was suggested in this thread to .zip a folder unless I misunderstood.



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <jeff@...> wrote :

Hi John,
I've solved this in the past by using the command line to copy the files using the command 'rsync' that has an option to checksum every file after the copy confirming that it is the same on both sides. 

I definitely don't consider myself a rocket scientist, but if you want to stay out of the command line, perhaps you could try a program called 'arRsync' (which is a graphical front end for rsync). I just downloaded it from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/arrsync/ There is an 'options' pane where you can change the default of 'Modification Date and Size Check' to 'Always Checksum'. This should give you what you are after. You'll notice the copies take longer than normal, but that is your checksum doing its thing!

Although, after re-reading... are you looking for a tool that will give you a checksum for each individual DPX file? I have NOT had to deliver like that yet, and will admit I'm not entirely sure how I'd attempt that. I know when I download large individual files I can get and MD5 checksum to confirm that I have the whole thing, but I can't imagine doing that for each DPX file. Do they let you .zip a folder's worth of files and give you checksum on that instead?

Not sure if I've been helpful or not - but I'm sending it anyways!

Jeff

------------------
Jeff Hedberg

Director of Operations
Union Editorial
575 Broadway,6th floor
New York, NY 10012

On Dec 7, 2016, at 2:13 PM, John Moore bigfish@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


Part of a network delivery is all kinds of archival masters in DPX so the files are huge.  They also request a check sum.  I understand just the basics that a check sum will assure the data was copied correctly.  I know the DITs have used Silverlight software to provide us with the field media and that software offers check sum type stuff and other things.

Can anyone suggest a mac compatible Check Sum software that doesn't take a rocket scientist to set up?  I have seen a friend go to the mac terminal and run a check sum there where he could confirm a .mov file was identical to the original even if the file name had been changed.  I think the network wants something more sophisticated than that. 

Having never dealt with this I am just starting to research our options.  Any experience in this area will be appreciated.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@...


__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (10)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment