Saturday, August 20, 2016

Re: [Avid-L2] Slate Form Needed

 

I can't prove you wrong but given what a traditional slate is for why would the same not apply for a dpx sequence?  All my typical show delivery files have slates with Network information, Series Title, episode title, TRT, Frame Rate, Progressive vs. Interlace, audio configuration, Record Date, Network NOC identification numbers that the network specifies to assist them in file tracking.

For my DPX Netflix deliveries there was no slate as they only want one second of black at top and bottom.  There file naming convention includes all the above data they are concerned with.  Now I'm fairly new to DPX files so I don't have a handle on what descriptive metadata is built into each frame but I bet there is plenty in there to tell the frame rate and color space info.  IIRC there must be fps type data as when importing a dpx into say Avid it would know what the actual running time should be and not just blindly import it like a targa sequence.  I haven't ever tried to bring in say a 23.976 dpx into a 59.94i project to see what really happens.  If I did the above and ama linked to the dpx sequence would Avid properly timewarp the clip to proper running time?

Meanwhile back to the slate question.  I see no reason not to include a slate like I would for a normal show master file along with bars and tone.  Of course the audio would be in separate file(s) given dpx doesn't support audio in most applications.  Someone on an earlier thread I think mentioned there was some dpx format that stored audio in metadata of the frames but it wasn't a format that seemed to have any practical support so I don't know if that is even possible but conventional usage has audio separate.  There may be color space, raster size and original scan type and frame rate data that would be more crucial to have in the slate information.  Perhaps the DPX bit depth whether it's 10,12 or 16 etc.. might be needed.  I'd find out from the folks you are delivering to what they want/need on the slate.



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <bouke@...> wrote :

Hi David, been a long time!

Not in my best mood, but here is my take.
If a DPX sequence needs a visual alate, EVERYONE in the WHOLE chain is a moron.
(a text file next to the folder 'should' do the trick' )

Please someone prove me wrong….


Bouke

VideoToolShed.com
van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS  Nijmegen
+31 24 3553311
To send files, go here:

On Aug 20, 2016, at 06:41, David Dodson davaldod@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I'm just a simple, unassuming offline editor. But to make a long story short, I have to create a slate for a DPX master for a feature. So what I'm needing to figure out is what all goes on this slate. Is there any kind of current template for this sort of thing? Any counsel or references would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

David Dodson
davidadodson@...
818-523-0905




Bouke

Edit 'B / VideoToolShed.com
van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS  Nijmegen
+31 24 3553311

__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment