Thursday, August 11, 2016

Re: [Avid-L2] OT: Firefox Browser crashing on several different systems recently?

 

If you don't know about AdBock, it's like having a DVR for Television.  It's a plugin on Chrome (And Safari) that blocks most banner ads and popups.




It's free, with donation requested.  Ben using it for years, love it.  When I get on someones computer or a browser on the phone I usually face palm at how much more cumbersome browsing gets without it.

Dave Hogan
Burbank, CA


On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 10:58 PM, "bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2]" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
I did find the refresh firefox and today it seems less buggy/crashy but given I've seen a real reduction in stability and performance on multiple systems it really does seem like something has changed for the worse.  My gut likes the advertisements as a contributing factor as it seems many functions are stalled until the side banner is loaded.  I generally have 12 or more tabs on my home page and that may increase the issues but that has always how I've been running so something has changed IMHO.


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <jfeeley@...> wrote :

All browsers suck. They just suck in different ways...or in different phases of their development. Seems like Firefox fell behind, but the rather recent updates are better.

And I'm seeing an increase in web pages that slowly grow to sucking up more than 1.5GB RAM each...these are mainstream sites that with editorial content that isn't doing anything too crazy. I'm guessing the culprits are advertisements that are trying really hard to entice me to click through, or occasionally overly ambitious editorial interactive features, but again these aren't auto-loading 8K VR pages designed to piss off Terry Curren or anything. 

Since I mostly browse on a Mac, I keep updated versions of Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. My "favorite" (ie- currently tolerated) browser switches. Firefox is usually in 3rd place...

In the latest version of Firefox (or at least in the latest version I have), there's a Refresh Firefox options that saves bookmarks, saved passwords, etc, but clears out some other chuff (extensions, download history, some security settings (that you can then restore), etc).

And check out Help > Firefox Health Report

Maybe try that?


jim feeley
pov media
word image sound





On Aug 9, 2016, at 10:51 PM, Mark Spano cutandcover@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


I think it doesn't manage memory well if you take advantage of tabbed browsing, which I think we all do. Chrome is not entirely better, but it doesn't seem to grind as often as Firefox did. I still have some issues with certain sites (particularly when I'm moving through my RSS reader on Feedly), but where Firefox used to halt, Chrome at least allows me to dump the tab and reload it and we're back to normal operation. That's enough reason for me to change. Then there is the added slickness of Chrome's profile manager being tied to my Google account, so my bookmarks and history follow me wherever I sign in, which has been a plus.

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 1:21 AM, bigfish@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>wrote:
 
That's interesting you mentioned a few months ago.  That's probably about the same time I started having typing lags and just this afternoon I left it running idle and again it crashed leaving me with the crash reporter running.  I did find Safari ran without issue all day today.  

I wonder what has changed in firefox to make it sluggish and so unstable.  Having seen this behavior on 3 different mac systems combined with your recent experience and choice seems to validate my experience as not tied to a particular computer issue.  Has Firefox always been a memory hog?  I can't say I've noticed that but I never really monitored it.  I have noticed on my 2009 MBP running 10.6.8 that with my normal startup page with about 10 tabs I can see the computer heat up even when I'm not browsing on any page and when I start scrolling around FB or browsing the CPU temp kicks way up.

Did you determine Firefox was a memory hog by checking out Activity Monitor ram usage?


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <cutandcover@...> wrote :

I ditched Firefox as well, only a few months ago. It was my browser of
choice, until some changes made it sluggish and memory hog. Chrome is much
better, and I only use Firefox when I need a browser to load a 32-bit
plugin like the Aspera Connect browser plugin.

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 11:11 PM, Benjamin Hershleder Ben@...
[Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

>
>
>
>
> John, I ditched Firefox years ago because I was fed-up with the problems,
> and was glad to switch to Chrome….
>
>
> Cheers,
> Benjamin
>
>
> <http://hershleder.com/avid- media-composer-book-by- benjamin-hershleder>
>
> On Aug 9, 2016, at 4:00 PM, John Moore bigfish@... [Avid-L2] <
> Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>
>
> I've been seeing Firefox crash on several different systems the past month
> or two. In some cases I have updated Firefox but still see the crashes
> happening. I don't usually witness the crashes but with Firefox running in
> the background on my edit systems I end up seeing the crash reporter when I
> bounce out of Avid. This has happened on my work MacPro 10.8.5 and
> 10.9.5, my laptop while at work a MBP running 10.6.8, and my home edit
> system MacPro 10.9.5. I'm also seeing sluggish behavior on multiple
> systems where I type and it takes a few seconds to type out on screen.
> Given it's on several systems I'm beginning to suspect something changed in
> Firefox or maybe some delay due to loading all the banner ads.
>
> On my home system it crashed twice while I had a long We Transfer upload
> going. I decided to try Safari and it seemed to be stable and working for
> two hours before I left for work this morning.
>
> Anybody seeing this type of behavior? I have on some of the systems
> updated Adobe flash player recently to see if that was a possible cause.
> It dawns on me that background services on Avid might be interacting with
> things but this is just a guess and I am seeing the crashes even without
> Avid running. Curious if anybody has heard anything along these lines.
>
> John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@...
>
>
> 
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






__._,_.___

Posted by: Dave Hogan <mactvman@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment