Saturday, July 9, 2016

Re: [Avid-L2] Moving PCI SSD Drive to 4 Lane Slot 3 from 16 Lane Slot 2 Mac Pro Performance?

 

No your card is only rated for PCIe 2.0 x2 lanes. 

DQS


On Jul 9, 2016, at 9:58 PM, John Moore bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

On my home system Mid 2012 12 Core MacPro Tower 2.66GHz 64Gig Ram QTX-680 OS 10.9.5 I am planning on adding and expansion chassis to get access to extra GPUs.  My existing system was slot 1 GTX-680, slot 2 16 lane OWC Mercury Accelsior_E2 PCI Express SSD 1TB, Slot 3 Black  Magic SDSDI card, Slot 4 Avid NitrisDX Host Buss Adapter.  In order to put the Expansion Chassis Host Buss Adapter into the Slot 2 for 16 lanes I removed the BM SDSDI card and moved the PCI EXpress SSD to Slot 3.  Everything booted up fine without proceeding with actually connecting the Expansion chassis so so far so good.

My question is regarding putting the PCI Express SSD in Slot 3.  Does this going down to a 4 lane slot have any major impact on the access speed to the SSD.  The manual says 2 lanes will for but 4 lanes or greater.  The card is made for macs so when the manual says x4 speeds or greater I take that to mean 4 lanes or greater.  All available data says this is an okay change.  On the PCI SSD is also two Esata Slots which I use for transport drives.  Down the line I may also get and external disk array that would connect to the ESata port(s).  If I do that does having the card in a 4 lane slot have the potential to throttle back the Esata bandwidth or is 4 lane PCIe way faster than Esata speed so there would be no choking on the Esata ports.  So far it still is working as a computer but I'm trying to understand the internal architecture better and get more of an awareness of PCIe buss speed, lanes and how that relates to Esata and other bandwidth requirements.

Ultimately I intend to install the expansion Chassis with2 TitanX (not mac flashed) GPU cards and the Host Buss Adapter for my DNxIO.  I was told by the folks at macvidcards that I would need to move to OS 10.10 in order for the TitanX cards to work.  Now I don't know if that only applies if I was going to use one of them as the GUI card or if that is based on drivers only being available for the TitanX in 10.10.  Can anyone enlighten me on what potential Nvidia driver concerns I may have with keeping the GTX-680 as my GUI GPU and then having the 2 TitanX cards in the Expansion Chassis.  Is it possible and/or okay to have multiple nvidia drivers to access the two different models of GPU?  I've read over the years how many drivers are included right in the MacOS but sometimes there are specialty needs that require installing and or updating to different versions of nvidia drivers.  I assume even if I'm not using the TitanX GPUs for the GUI the system will still need drivers installed to access the cards.  Is that correct or would BM Resolve and Adobe CS 6 or maybe CC just know to find the cards in the expansion chassis and use them.  Not sure what configuration parameters there are for this.  I do remember having to hack the approved GPU text file to get CS 6 to recognize my GTX-680 card.  I also read that when the Creative Cloud Adobe versions came out they had been updated to recognize and utilize the GTX-680 and other newer cards but I assume my CS6 suite will not be able to take advantage of all the extra GPU horsepower.  This is just my speculation as I have only just begun to research these factors.  Any experience in these area would be of interest and greatly appreciated.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Dom Q. Silverio" <domqsilverio@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment