Wednesday, July 6, 2016

[Avid-L2] Re: Extreme Transcode time from Panny AVC Intra 4K to DNxHRHQX with Luts baked in?

 

Further transcoding seems to show that if I don't bake in the LUTs on Transcode things go much faster, as I would expect.  I notice when not baking in the LUT the CPU usage indication in Activity monitor is around 2,000 percent showing in Green=User.  When I bake in the LUT the green User percentage is lower, around 900%,  and there is a lot more Red=System CPU usage in the graph.  I assume this means that the number crunching to bake in the LUT is being handled by whatever Activity Monitor deems to be System as opposed to User CPU usage.  Not sure what the means in the whole computer hierarchy but the ultimate result is 4 or more times longer transcodes.



---In avid-l2@yahoogroups.com, <bigfish@...> wrote :

I forgot to add when I look at Activity monitor when transcoding on the first project the CPU percentage would run around 2,000% but on this project when baking in the LUT I only see CPU Percentage aroun 900%.  Same drive configurations and types involved as first project.


---In avid-l2@yahoogroups.com, <bigfish@...> wrote :

As I embark on my 2nd True 4K project 4096x2160 shot on Panasonic Varicam35 to AVC Intra 4:2:2 BT. 709 I decided to, unlike my first project, bake in the multiple LUT of the Panasonic Vlog to 709 I got from the Panny website and then a Full Scale to Legal, in that order.  On the first show I chose not to bake in the lut on transcode to DNxHRHQX but the LUT combo is pretty reliable on this multicamera stage show so on this 2nd project I am commiting to the LUT in the hopes that my timeline playback will be a bit more solid.  On the first show I could only playback in Yellow Mode on the timeline which is okay for color correction but not so good for blurring exit signs etc...  I found on the first project once rendered to a safe color limit I could play back the timeline in 10 bit mode.  I'm thinking that it wasn't just the unrendered symphony color correction but also the multi LUTs that contributed to the challenging playback.  I'm hoping by baking in the LUTs I'll be able to have at least a slightly better quality playback during color correction.

There is a bug I've found on my Avid 8.5.2 MacPro tower with NitrisDX OS 10.9.5 related to background renders when LUTs are being used.  This has been confirmed by Avid.  On this new project I found an additional and what seems related bug to this.  When I tried to background transcode baking in the LUTs to DNxHRHQX the resulting media has a band of colored hash at the top of the screen and the raster oscillates between normal size and something like a 400% blowup when the clip plays.  This is slightly different than what I got on the first project when background rendering the safe color limit on the media with multi LUTs.  In both cases the solution is to render or transcode normally.

Regarding the subject line the first night I 10 clips 4 of which are 1 hour and 40 minutes long and I left them transcoding in the background overnight.  I do this because it allows me to setup more than one target drive for different clips to go to different drives as I don't have a single volume large enough to hold all the media transcode.  The process completed in around 12 hours but as mentioned above the media was corrupt.  So now I'm doing a normal transcode but I'm finding that just one single 1 hour 40 minute clip is taking around 13 hours.  I get that baking in the LUTs is adding more processing time but it's very curious that when using background transcode the entire time for all the clips was less than just a single clip transcoded normally.  Granted the background transcodes are messed up so maybe that plays into the differing transcode time.  On the first project where I didn't bake in the LUT the background transcodes were flawless and they took about the same time as what my now messed up background transcodes took.  So I'm wondering is there something super taxing about baking in the LUTs that is creating the much greater transcode times or is there any configuration or setting that is in play?

I have a case with Avid already regarding my initial discovery of the background render but on the first project and I have added this new found behavior to it and emailed Avid yesterday to get some clarification as to if the initial bug was fixed in 8.5.3 or even 8.6.  Curious what others experiences in this regard have been.  I seem to be in a rare case of super long ama linked Panny AVC intra material.  Just linking to a single one of these clips takes around 4 ish minutes for it to populate into the bin.  Hence why I have to transcode to even stand a chance with working with the footage.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@...

__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment