Saturday, March 19, 2016

Re: [Avid-L2] avid editors' opinion of adobe premiere?

 

On Mar 16, 2016, at 11:58 PM, Michael Brockington mbrock321@gmail.com [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


This upcoming project will use a custom raster - probably something like 
5276x1920, so about 5xHD frames stacked sideways, which would be about 
25% more pixels than a 4K frame. 

At the risk of oversimplifying, this is a no-brainer for me. Nothing can touch the Adobe Creative suite for this type of production. There's a lot to love about Avid, but multi-image production is definitely not one of them. Resolution independence is THE thing that Adobe does better than everyone else. 

I've been cutting multi-image productions for 25 years using both Avid and Final Cut. Last year I finished three screen and six screen productions using Avid v7. About 45% of these shows had to round trip with AE. At the same time, two of my "junior" editors finished two seamless three-screen productions, and a three-stream "Mosaic" production using Premiere and After Effects. This was a direct, side-by-side test in real world production over a year's time.

The Adobe workflow is wildly superior for multi-screen. Resolution flexibility and round-tripping between Premiere and After Effects is a killer combo.

I am now cutting a 5760x1080, three-projector, mixed format production using Premiere on an eight year old quad-core with Kona3. I am off-lining in an HD sequence using full resolution sources including 4K. No conversion of footage. I can take this low-res sequence and drop it into three master resolution sequences and output at master quality for projection tests. One frame adjustment. Shockingly easy. 

I am not an Adobe fan and I am a long-time Avid fan. I've only been editing seriously with Premiere for a year. I would be very, very unhappy if you took Premiere away from me right now.

Cheers,
                tod



__._,_.___

Posted by: hoplist@hillmanncarr.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (18)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment