Saturday, January 9, 2016

Re: [Avid-L2] 59.94I 2:3 Pulldown Media into a 23.976P project transcode vs. consolidate?

 

It's ok once we go HD it will all just be 24fps universal mastering.

Mike

On 10 Jan 2016, at 9:48 AM, John Moore bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

I know that in general taking 29.97/59.94 back to 23.976 is yucky.  I have a 23.976 series that has taken some 59.94I DVCProHD tape that was shot at 23.976 with 2:3 pulldown added by the deck and captured as 59.94i.  When it is cut into the 23.976 timeline the motion adapter of 125% is added.  I can then promote and set the motion adapter to 2:3 pulldown source with progressive output and once I detect the cadence everything is clean. 

The problem I have is that the AEs have been in the habit of then transcoding the media to the target sequence frame rate.  This practice worked fine when going from 23.976 material tp a 59.94 sequence with Avid adding 2:3 pulldown but when going the other direction it introduces blended yucky frames and even though with the proper settings on the motion adapter before transcoding the resulting media is messed up.  When going from 23.976 into a 59.94 sequence as long as Avid knew the source was progressive it handled it correctly adding 2:3.  Is there anything similar when going the other direction?  I can set the motion adapter to get correct clean frames from the 2:3 material but the resulting media after a transcode/convert is flawed and the motion adapter can't clean it up.  I understand why this is happening because Avid is doing some sort of frame blending speed correction which results in blended yucky frames at 23.976.  I understand that is the nature of the beast when dealing with a true 29.97/59.94 interlace source but given I have 2:3 pulldown material is there a way to alert Avid to the cadence and have it do pulldown removal on the transcode/convert instead of a blended yucky mess.

The solution I've come up with is to consolidate the media instead of transcode.  This keeps it at it's native frame rate.  I have found that once consolidated I have to go back in and tweak the motion adapter.  I have to detect the cadence a second time and I believe I had to also tell it again the source was 2:3 pulldown.  Seems after the consolidate it forgets that or maybe it just loses its' anchor frame for the cadence.

Is there a more elegant solution than consolidate and retweaking the motion adapter?
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Mikeparsons.tv" <mikeparsons.tv@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment