Friday, January 8, 2016

[Avid-L2] Re: Can't right click and get source setting in Avid 8.2?

 

Okay I installed 8.4 Avid and now I can get to source settings and apply the LUT.  I haven't worked much with these in Avid.  As I'm experimenting it seems the source color space has no effect on media that is already ingested.  I know in past projects that when ama linked to Sony F55 Avid was set to automatically apply the Sony S3 gamut curve to the ama'd material.  That is a preference that can be changed. 

Am I correct in assuming that color space parameter is something that only effects ama linked material?  It seems my already transcoded material doesn't change when Color Space is changed even with hitting apply and okay.  Seems like the color space is more like an input LUT or processor before the media is transcoded.  Perhaps if this was consolidated media things would react differently.  I know there are preferences for backing in a LUT when transcoding or leaving it as is but maintaining an active LUT.  Is this why I'm seeing no change with Color Space?

The color Transformation do effect the existing clips so that is where I'm applying the DP LUT.  Can you guess what this wonderful LUT looks like?  Here's a hint.  When I take Rubin to the Dog Park I get a similar result after he has run around a bit.  The correction for that requires a scooper. 

Clearly the LUT I was given, which appears to be a standard downloaded not custom LUT, was designed to work in a full range world not my Rec 709.  This is very much my complaint with magic bullet looks and other effects package that default to full range.  I understand there are two sides to this view but why would I want a LUT that crushes things down to zero so I then have to color correct back up to 16.  Is it nearing the time I need to contemplate working in an RGB project?  I have always felt it's best to work in the color space you will deliver in and for me that has been and still is Rec 709 for the foreseeable future.  I feel like I'd start chasing my tail to be switching from one color space to another depending on source material.  I'm curious what obstacles others face in this area.



---In avid-l2@yahoogroups.com, <bigfish@...> wrote :

Trying to apply a cinestyle .mga LUT from a DP.  I found a Creative Cow thread that had a link to someone who had converted the .mga into a cube LUT for Resolve.  I was able to apply that in Resolve and found it looked like crap but my Resolve doesn't have an output card at work so I wanted to install the LUT in my Avid 8.2 drive.  I was able to install the LUT in the Color Management but then when I find an interview clip in a bin that I want to apply the LUT to I right click on the highlighted clip and click source settings but nothing happens.  No dialogue box of any kind.  I'm use to getting the prompt that this clip doesn't allow source settings if it's in a codec Avid doesn't want to mess with but I get nothing at all.  This is Mac OS 10.9.5 MC 8.2.  I know I've done this on my home MC 8.3.1.  Is this a known bug?  I know 8.4 came out but I'm thinking I might just downgrade to 8,3,1 to see if that works like it does at home.  Any suggestions.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@...

__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment