Sunday, January 17, 2016

[Avid-L2] DNxHR and HD

 

Hi L-er's,


I'm just finishing the edit of a project on which the assistant did all the preparation ahead of me even being hired. So we never got to think the workflow before it all started - actually, I didn't even meet her. We're finishing the film with a different person. Possible recipe for disaster, but if we're careful now, we should be fine.

Nevertheless, there are some areas that I need to clarify before we dive into conforming the project.


First thing first: we're on Media Composer 8.4.4.


The project is a historical documentary about the 100th anniversary of the Dublin 1916 Rising, and therefore contains a lot of archive material. Most of it came as 4:3 SD. The interviews were shot with a Sony F55, mostly in HD, but some footage (about 1% of the finished film) was shot in U-HD. All the material, archives as well as original, is at 25fps.


The assistant first created a UHD project in order to retain the original frame size of the footage. The footage was brought in via AMA Link, then transcoded to DNxHR HQ. The idea was to skip a conform at the end of editing. Then the project was switched to HD/Rec709, and the archive footage (low res SD with BiTC) was AMA linked and transcoded to DNxHD120 - which was overkill since it came as low-res MP4 files.

All the sound for the new footage was synch'ed up in that HD project. That project is the one I used to edit the two films. Since it's a HD project, any material I bring in can only be converted/rendered to DNxHD. 


Colour grading asked for a QuickTime file with an EDL to spot each cut. I would like to be able to deliver the film to them in DNxHR since the original material is in that codec. Also, since the archive that's in the film will be delivered to us as hi-res SD QuickTime, we decided to upscale it to HD outside of Avid and AMA Link it. We will upscale it to 1920xYYYY (not 1080 since it's 4:3), and then use Frameflex to do the top and bottom cropping that will be required to deliver a 1920x1080 master.


Now the questions are: 

- How do I get the project to a DNxHR environment? Do I have to switch to a UHD project even though I'm delivering HD size, or can I just create a custom size project and make it 1920x1080? Or should I just keep my HD project and transcode the original footage to DNxHD?

- The original footage has a Color Effect added by MediaComposer (based on the camera LUT) but the archive footage is just regular video with no LUT. When I export the film for the colour grader, do I remove the Color Effect to go back to the washed out non-LUT footage? Or should I export two QuickTime files, one for the original material and one for the archive material?

- And most important: what is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? ;-)


Thanks for reading!

Pierre

__._,_.___

Posted by: ph@cineaste.org
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment