Saturday, December 5, 2015

[Avid-L2] Re: Okay so I did and Fing Avid Mixdown now I get the double video mixdown whammy?

 

So the audio stems didn't present a problem today on the direct export same as source once I eliminated any video tracks with 23.976 material including reference mixdowns and title slates.  Then it exports as same as source without an error.

Yesterday I think I had the audio issue when I was trying to export a QT ref of just the audio to be able to add discrete not interleaved audio to the ProRes Export and that's when I had to do audio mixdowns while in the 59.94 project.  I'm told the Avid interleaved direct audio export will be okay by the QC house so I don't have that hoop to jump through.  One small victory in a very convoluted workflow.  If it weren't for the reverse cadence that Adobe Media Encoder creates I'd prefer to use it outboard of Avid.  Leave the original file in it's native same as source form and let an outboard piece of software do the conversions just like hardware traditionally does.  That just seems like a cleaner workflow overall.

I recently saw a posting for an SR 5800 for $15K.  Don't know if it had all the options but as many have done in the past I really think a straight output to an SR deck and then use it to convert frame rate and recapture to the desired delivery format would be quicker and easier overall.  Then you'd always have the tape master for archive.  This would only be considered as those decks drop to ridiculous prices.  Really $15K would pay for itself in man hours spent baking files in no time at all.  But that would be logical and I doubt that's gonna happen.



---In avid-l2@yahoogroups.com, <bigfish@...> wrote :

So on a tight turn around show I committed to the Avid mixdown workflow for frame rate conversion and I ended up getting burned by my own mistake.  I mixed down the 23.976 to ProRes, the delivery format, and then opened a mixdown only sequence in a 59.94 1080I project.   Pulldown was perfect etc....  From there I went to save as and in my haste okay'd through the part where it tells me the sequence is a non native format and it will make an Avid DNX220X instead of a ProRes.  I'm assuming and about to correct this by making a second mixdown to ProRes while in the 59,94 project and using that to save a same as source.  I'm pretty sure that will work but I've always glossed over the part in people's work flows where they mention a second mixdown.

In the past I've done this but the deliverables were to be Avid DNX anyways so I didn't flag the gotcha until now.  I know this is the best way to assure a solid file but what a double pain in the arse.  The other issue is because the audio stems are 23.976 I have to do audio mixdowns of each track while in the 59.94 project or I get the prompt I must select audio mixdowns in the export settings.  Is there a way to avoid that prompt in an elegant manner.  I could try reimporting the aaf into the 59.94 project but it's a 23.976 ProTools AAF so I doubt that would work.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@...

__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment