Thursday, December 24, 2015

[Avid-L2] 4K Netflix coming my way?

 

I've yet to work with 4K in my normal workflows.  I did a syncing project with UHD from a BM Camera and my system went to a screeching halt.  I was just ama linked so I'm sure that was a contributing factor but given part of that task was to convert to regular HD I just did the transcode and worked with the HD material.

At my regular gig we have a Netflix 4K delivery coming up.  We have current support so I have Ver. 8.3.1 on one of my startup drives.  I have 4gig fibre to my online drives in a 16 drive chassis.  This will probably be Arri Alexa media so I assume it will come to me as ProRes 444.  I'm going to start tinkering but after my limited exposure it seems to me I will want to transcode the material to one of the new  resolutions available in the 4K Avid projects.  Is it reasonable to assume that I will be able to work in real time with the material once it's been transcoded to one of these new Avid codecs?  I have a usb 3 card on my Mac OS 10.8.5 SNDX system and I'm wondering if that would be an option for storage in the event my normal fibre chassis doesn't have the bandwidth.  We are on SanMP to the chassis.  I use to have a eSata card but now it's just a usb 3 card.  I wish they had put in a combo usb 3 and eSata card then I'd have an option to use a small raid tower with eSata.  We have a few of those already and they are used for file based material on various series and they use them as archive and to link to when uprezzing a show.  I would think one of those 8 bay raid towers would have the throughput necessary to handle real time 4K playback with an eSata connection.  Any experience with this would be appreciated.

Don't get me started on how much different the Netflix stream will look originating in 4K as opposed to HD when it gets to the viewers iPad at home.  I haven't spent much time toying with Netflix but do watch some stuff through the built in Netflix app in my Panny Plasma at home.  It seems most of my streams come in at SD and bounce up to 720P depending on household and overall DSL performance.  How does one really experience 4K over Netflix?  Is there an option to download overnight a real 4K file?  I'm sure there is all kinds of internet voodoo in play but seriously how is Netflix streaming 4K material to the masses?  I will also welcome all conspiracy theories on how 4K Netflix 4K really is.  ;-)  Perhaps there is a second stream theory just like the Kennedy assassination.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment