Saturday, November 7, 2015

Re: [Avid-L2] Best method of converting a 23.976 file and or Avid timeline to 29.97P file?

 

This thread has me wondering...what does reversed field order look like?  I see jaggie lines all the time on-air..is that actually reversed filed order?  It's usually on a 4x3 spot on a HD channel.

frank



On 11/6/2015 11:30 PM, Dennis Degan DennyD1@verizon.net [Avid-L2] wrote:

I write:

I have the matte to fix wrong field order for 1920x1080 video as a TIFF.  Here's how you use it:
Put same vid on two tracks. Offset the lower track by one frame EARLIER. Import the TIFF to make an Avid video clip. Apply the imported TIFF to track 3. Add Matte Key Effect to track 3 (the imported TIFF). If the clip still strobes, invert the Matte Key in the Effects Editor. Render if necessary. Enjoy the results.




Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
    NBC Today Show, New York

On Nov 6, 2015, at 8:57 PM, bigfish@pacbell.net wrote:



I remember someone had a very interesting approach to fixing field order involving hicon mattes for each of the fields scan lines that was applied as a matte key on a dup of the shot on an upper track and shifted a frame which, with the hold out matte applied keyed back in the proper field of video.  IIRC that Bouke but I may be wrong.  What are other methods of correcting this.  I've dealt with deinterlace with BCC but that's not what reverse field order is.


---In avid-l2@yahoogroups.com, <DennyD1@...> wrote :


On Nov 5, 2015, at 10:58 PM, Mark Spano wrote:

> And don't get me started about reversed field order - that's even worse, and just as prevalent. I honestly wonder what some editors are looking at when I see that stuff on air.

I offer:

I have the answer for that.  There are two reasons why this occurs: (1) Editors are not seeing the error while editing because they are cutting on so-called 'desktop' editors; Avids installed without broadcast-output hardware (Nitris DX, etc.).  The reversed field order error cannot be seen on a computer monitor in the Avid interface. (2) Editors don't know what to do to fix it even if they could see it.  In addition, Avid doesn't make it easy to fix.  There are a number of ways to fix the error.  All of them take time and results vary or have limitations.  So the error ends up on the air.  I see it all the time at my place and it drives me up the wall.  Sometimes, you just have to let it go . . .   let it go . . . . .    :(

Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
    NBC Today Show, New York



__._,_.___

Posted by: Frank Felker <fjfelker@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (19)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment