Friday, October 2, 2015

Re: [Avid-L2] QT File from Avid through QT Pro chops beginning audio in FCP7?

 

Let's get this out of the way: no one should be using FCP7 in any kind of QC capacity. Consider that many times, FCP7 is known to misinterpret levels, field order, alpha channel or type, frame rate, etc. - why anyone would choose this software for evaluation is beyond me. Even if one were not aware of all of these possible pitfalls, surely you would not rely on a piece of software that reached its end of life years ago!

When I do any rudimentary QC, I am doing several things. First, I pass the file through VideoSpec. This gives me a rough readout of readable information from the headers of the file, which includes frame rate (constant or variable), codec, bit rate (constant or variable), tracks included, running time, etc. - all useful items. Then, I open in QuickTime Player to see what it says in its Movie Information and Movie Properties. Finally, I load it in AJA TV (since I have an AJA IO Express, this application is a simple no frills item that allows for direct output through the hardware). I play through, watching on FSI LCD, and occasionally pass the output through a Tektronix WFM 7000. I should note that pretty much NONE of these devices are failure proof. The Tek for example easily misses certain captions. To double-check captioning, I play out from one system and capture through another, then take the capture file and load into Adobe Premiere CC 2014/2015, which can decode and display caption data. So there's all that, and I'm only an online editor. If the next place I send it to doesn't have at least what I have, and they report a "problem", you bet I will be asking their signal chain. Often I've taken iPhone video of things working as they should to explain things to the next person why their method is failure prone. And don't get me started on how many of these people play and view on their computer desktops.




On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 8:35 PM, bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

So I've tested the FCP7 problem files in VLC, MpegStreamclip, Adobe Premiere, Avid ama linked, and ProTools.  What is currently the best test for universal acceptance of a .mov?  Would something like the BM utility to lay off to tape or aja's similar software/hardware be a better way of validating a file?

I wonder if Tektronix Cerify or some other file QC software would flag whatever the issue is that trips up FCP7?


__._,_.___

Posted by: Mark Spano <cutandcover@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment