Friday, September 25, 2015

[Avid-L2] HDCam F-500 Possible Tape Tension Etc... Issue?

 

The Rental house swapped out my F-500 for another unit because they said they needed to "service" the deck we had.  I'm pretty sure the deck we had was a sub rental for them so they swapped it with one of their own stock when it became available.  At any rate now I find after a shows worth of outputs this deck aborts digital cuts fairly often and today it was a no go for an insert edit until I moved my in point back about 14 minutes from where I needed to go in.  I tried video input reference instead of external reference, which always works for me.  Still no success.  Put deck in 2 field instead of 4 field still no go.  Gave it 30 second preroll and still no go.  Finally backing up the in point 14 minutes worked.

The original problem in point was around 1;31;00;00 on a 64 minute tape which is roughly mid way on the reel.  My old VTR engineering side remembers that some times when both reels have about the same mass of tape there can be servo/tension issues that don't happen at the beginning or end of the tape.  I had already made insert edits to this tape at 3 and 10 minutes in and the show was output originally on this machine.  The black and code was done and a previous rental deck we had months ago and I've used several of these on the current rental deck before it was swapped last week.  Does it make sense to suggest to the Rental house that the deck might have some sort of tension related issue?  I know without having the deck on a test bench this is all speculation but I feel like I've seen this behavior on other decks in the past.  The error shows lost lock after it aborts edits and the audio never locks up during preroll on the aborted edits.  This just smacks of servo tension type issues to me.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment