Friday, July 10, 2015

Re: [Avid-L2] Segmentation Fault Main Thread Error on Launch

 

For what it's worth I just ran into this earlier this week.  When I tried to instal 6.5.6 SNDX on my restored Startup Drive.  When I ran the installer for 6.5.6 it failed.  This was after uninstalling 5.5.5 SNDX first.  I then ran the uninstall but it saw nothing to uninstall.  After a round or two of restarts and another failed install attempt I decided to reinstall 5.5.5 but open reinstalling I got the main thread buss error immediately on launch.  I could not get it to work and had to re restore the startup drive.  I had a different startup drive also restored with 6.0.5 SNDX.  I updated to the lasted 6.0.X version available and that worked but when I tried 6.5.4 same failed install and similar issues.  I downloaded 6.5.4 and that installed properly and ran.  So I tried to uninstall it to see if I could go back to 5.5.5 but then I got a failed install with 5.5.5 WTF.  I ran the uninstaller and it didn't show anything in the window but did seem to be uninstalling when I hit uninstall.  I then went to reload 6.5.4 that had just worked and it wouldn't work.  After a restart and a chicken sacrifice, or was it 2 chickens?, I got 6.5.4 to install and it ran.

The thing that is similar to your situation is that main thread  buss error popped up immediately  on launch not like the typical where it grinds for a while on booting.  I realize in my case the OS 10.6.8 isn't qualified for 6.5.4 but it's worked with 6.5.3 on my laptop for a long time.  I'm thinking these very recent versions have something different about the installation procedure under the hood that has made legacy non supported OS that use to work no iffy.  Installing 6.5.4 and it works and then an uninstall to back rev to 5.5.5 which is supported and it won't work, that's strange and then to have to try repeated installs of the software that at first installed correctly seems to point to something different about the installer program and maybe not so much to do with the actual editing software.  Just guessing from my recent experience.

This was the first time I can recall were upgrading the Avid actually ended up trashing my startup drive to back rev to the original version I had.  I had back ups and this was all after the main startup drive had failed with a mechanical error but I was able to salvage it to a new drive with carbon copy cloner.



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <davidadodson@...> wrote :


Doing a clean install now. But you know what would be nice? Instead of the Alert being some nonsensical "Segmentation Fault, blah blah blah…", it could just say, "General Error   It could literally be almost anything." Now, wouldn't that be refreshing?

DD


David Dodson



On Jul 10, 2015, at 2:54 PM, 'Dom Q. Silverio' domqsilverio@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I agree with Job. Don't migrate. Clean install it. 

FYI that error is a generic error. It does not point to a specific trigger. 

DQS

> On Jul 10, 2015, at 5:47 PM, 'Job ter Burg (L2B)' Job_L2@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> 
> 
> Did you migrate the Avid editing application? That I would not do. Uninstall, reinstall.
> 
>> On 10 jul. 2015, at 23:38, David Dodson davidadodson@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>> 
>> Having successfully migrated to a new computer (same Mac OS X, etc. as previous system), attempts to launch Media Composer 8.4 results in an immediate Alert that says "Segmentation Fault in thread "Main Thread", at address 0x0"
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------
> 
> ------------------------------------
> 
> this is the Avid-L2
> ------------------------------------
> 
> Yahoo Groups Links
> 
> 
> 


__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment