Friday, July 3, 2015

Re: [Avid-L2] M-Disc - 100GB Optical Disc with a 1,000 Year Shelf Life

 

More generally rhetorical. I just cleaned through 20 years of archival material (was very satisfying). I have a digital archive of most masters, but really I could cull that down to 10% or less if I was as ruthless as I am when I cut for clients.

In thinking about how many major features are made each year (which along with independents is only accelerating), I wonder sometimes how films like Citizen Kane or North By Northwest will fare 50, 100, or 500 years from now. Then extrapolate to almost everything else any of us on this list work on.


On Jul 3, 2015, at 5:34 PM, blafarm@yahoo.com [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> What percentage of what you are working on will need to be archived past 10 years?


Not sure this question is directed at me or the members of List.
For me and the spot/promotional work I cut, that number is probably zero.  
For my own projects 'yes' -- I'd like to be able to look back.
But, sadly, the majority of my paid work has a naturally limited shelf life.
That's really why I wrote in my M-DISC piece that I only needed 5-10 years. 



__._,_.___

Posted by: James Culbertson <albion@speakeasy.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment