Saturday, February 28, 2015

Re: [Avid-L2] Local 700 Editor's Union. Thoughts?

 

A talk with Howard Shore.  That's pretty god actually - I loves me some Movie Scores...

I've pretty much decided on doing it.  Just have to get the $$$$$ together.  Like I ve been told by multiple people, it's about additional options - and that's good with me.

Thanks
Mark


On 2/26/2015 9:37 PM, namyrb namyrb@gmail.com [Avid-L2] wrote:
 
It's good to have the membership just in case.  Some people lose out on opportunities when they have to say "I'm not in the union yet, but I have my hours."  I don't work enough to get benefits, but every once in a while something will pop up and it has always been a great experience.  Plus they have free screenings at the directors guild 1-2 times per month which can be cool.  Last year they did the hobbit and afterwards we got to see howard shore talk about composing the music which made it all worth it for me. 

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 6:07 PM, Tal Nitris@tal.bz [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 
The union doesn't mind when you do non union gigs.

I am a big big fan of the health insurance.
Tal

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Jay Mahavier jay_mahavier@earthlink.net [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Those are the sort of things that you have to figure out for yourself.  But I don't know of any law that says that since you are in the union that you can't take a non-union job.  But a non-union job isn't going to count towards your union benefits.  And that's when you sit down and make the determination if you are getting enough offers for union work, or will be able to get enough union work offers, to make joining worth your while.


As for the needing to change classifications, I don't know.  That's something you can probably call them and ask them about.  

But no one can tell you if you joining the union is a good fit.  We can tell you things to consider, but the final decision will need to be your own.

Jay



On Feb 26, 2015, at 1:35 PM, Mark Santora mrsantora@gmail.com [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:



Thanks for this Jay.  

For me, the biggest things is that most of the Trailer Houses I work with are non-union.  So I'm not sure how that would shake out.  Also, it's a decent chunk of change to join, how easy is it to find work as a union member?  If I join as a trailer editor, would I be able to find work as a TV Editor as well or would I have to change my classification within it and dues to move onto that?

Mark



On 2/26/2015 11:18 AM, Jay Mahavier jay_mahavier@earthlink.net [Avid-L2] wrote:

It sounds a lot like buying gear. If you need the gear to get a gig then you buy the gear. If you don't need the gear to get the gig then why buy the gear.

I'm in the 700. It's fine. I clock enough hours to keep my insurance up to date, which is about all I really want from it. 

You will meet people that absolutely love the union, and some that absolutely hate the union. But whatever, both extremes are annoying. Listen to both sides. You'll probably figure out that whatever their reasons for feeling one way or the other probably won't ever fit your situation and don't really matter. You just need to think about what benefit it would be to you and made your own judgement.

Jay

> On Feb 26, 2015, at 12:53 PM, Mark Santora mrsantora@gmail.com [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> 
> 
> Not looking to stirr up the beehive here, but I've had some inquiries 
> lately about work but have lost the gig due to not being a member of the 
> 700. I have the hours and would have no issue joining, I'm just 
> thinking it over and thought I'd ask here about people opinion.
> 
> Anyone?
> 
> Thanks
> Mark
> 
> -- 
> --
> Mark Santora
> http://www.marksantora.com
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: Mark Santora <mrsantora@gmail.com>
> ------------------------------------
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------
> 
> Yahoo Groups Links
> 
> 
> 


--   --  Mark Santora  http://www.marksantora.com






--   --  Mark Santora  http://www.marksantora.com

__._,_.___

Posted by: Mark Santora <mrsantora@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment