Friday, February 13, 2015

[Avid-L2] Re: Safe color limiters not clipping RGB black levels

 

Very interesting thread Mr. Spano.  Given you can't use the safe color limit with 422 checked without render it kinda creates a major issue.  I occasionally see speculars get through.  I safe color limit all my shows given the files need some protection and then feed through an external legalizer, unfortunately I don't have the Harris unit, but Steve's place does.  If the harris is properly set there should be no complaints on the tape.  The file which doesn't get the harris benifit is another story.

If I run a show with the Tek 7020 with it set to Tek Default which mimic EBU standards, so I'm told by Tektronix.  and don't see any alarms I feel there should be no QC level issues.  Of course I have to set the scope to 1% area to avoid the nature of an HDCam and SR deck's adding small specular distortions to it's output because of what I'm told are some enhancement circuitry that causes the specular over shoots.  I will ama link to output files and play them back through my scope and those usually behave on the alarm side.  I haven't noticed a pattern of error on the files so far.  I'd say ask the international QC folks how they like to set the Harris limiter and see if they still want to reject the tape.  I'd be curious to know if the file is failing or the tape or both and are they noting errors in the same time codes.

I'd bet that this is an overzealous QC because other than the ABC spike gate issues I haven't seen anything the Harris units can't handle.  The networks like ABC have suggested setting for the DL-860 etc...  Sometimes it helps to find out what the QC folks are using to measure the media.  There have been cases where problems are being picked up based on an analogue downconvert outputs which really aren't valid given the HD tape is in spec.  If the signals are invalid for down convert then those can be legalized in the downconverted signal.  I try to keep things valid for downconverts but I'm sure there are things that slip by.  It is always curious to me how a show that has totally passed domestic QC and aired gets flagged on an International QC.  The harding machine is the only thing that I consider a valid QC issue as it's part of the broadcast spec for some countries but even that box is suspect in it's error recording.  Overall level issues just seem to be something that should have already been flagged at the domestic level.  Just my opinion.



---In avid-l2@yahoogroups.com, <sppomerantz@...> wrote :

I'm kind of out of the online world these days, but I'm posting this for the online editors at the company I'm with.


We're having a problem with outputs from our Avid Symphony v7.0.3. (HP z820).  The international dept. of a network is kicking back our masters due to RGB chroma legality and oversaturation. We are outputting to HDCamSR at DNxHD 220x through our Harris DL860 legalizer. We are also exporting a file based same as source Quicktime with the Avid safe color limiter rendered and applied to the entire episode, and the result is always the same. Clips throughout have RGB levels slightly below the 0 mv limit but anything above 700 mv are clipped.  We have had the Harris unit calibrated, but the problem persists.  

Anyone have any insight as to why this might be happening?


thanks,


Steve Pomerantz

Jupiter Entertainmnet

Steve Pomerantz - Online & Offline Editor


 

__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment