Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Re: [Avid-L2] MacPro 5.1 SSD in drive bay or Mercury Accelsior_E2 PCI Express Solid State Drive?

 

John, 

Thunderbolt is motherboard dependent and cannot be connected through PCI. 

Kedor

Sent from iKedor mini

On Dec 24, 2014, at 19:35, bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

Well I decided to go with the Mercury Accelsior SSD which also has two ESata connectors.  I did some research and it does seem the drive throughputs are correctly labeled as MB/s as in MegaBytes/sec.  I will only be lacking USB 3 connectivity but I suppose down the line if that was a real problem I could get an external chassis and hook it up to slot 2 to get extra slots and start moving the Nitris DX HBA to the external chassis and move the Accesior SSD to slot 4 which according to the OWC site will work at full speed in a 4X slot which slot 4 is.  Does anybody know if the NitrisDX HBA would work in an expansion chassis?  If not I could move my decklink sdi to the external chassis that is in slot 3 now.

I don't seem to find any PCIe cards that offer thunderbold connectivity.  Am I missing them or do they not exist?  Perhaps Thunderbold is too much bandwidth for PCI 2.0? 

I'm also going to up the ram to 64GB given the 4K workflows that may be coming down the path.  Hard to believe all this stuff is still way less than a VideoTek Harris legalizer or even a GVG proc amp back in the day of composite video and I don't even need a one inch machine as a master record.  Fun but scary times.

__._,_.___

Posted by: Michael Kedor <mikedor@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment